Hello from RR newbie and question one

I'm the proud new owner of an L reg 200TDi classic, and I expect I'll be back with one or two questions over the coming weeks and months. I'm no mechanic (a bad start perhaps?) but I've been tinkering with one or two bits and pieces of routine maintenance.

Today has been new headlamp bulb day, which has involved removing the front grille. No problem with that, jobs a good 'un, but... the grill has been "hammered" into place by bending down the metal retaining clips that the grill slots into. I'm guessing that this is "normal" and that otherwise the grill ends up on the floor :-)

Is there a sensible fix for this which doesn't involve fixing new retaining clips? I reckon I've got one or maybe two more goes before the metal snaps. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Oh, and a quick question two before I go: is there a way of folding up the (split, two piece) back seats so that they end up vertical rather than leaning back into the loadspace? Thanks again.

Reply to
Andrew

Welcome... Visa card shredding is over in the corner, couciling is available on request though usually involves buying an additional landrover product. :-)

Never needed to replace them, just bend them far enough to catch the plastic. If they do snap you can always screw a new strip in place.

If you mean what I think you mean then move the front seats forwards they should then rest in the vertical position.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Thanks Lee. Looking forward to being broke from now on... I guess I can just screw a new bit of metal on, but I'm only just getting used to the idea that I can do that to my car!

How trivial is it to remove the back seats (and put them back afterwards)? It looks really easy, but are there captive bolts that will disappear into a place where I'll never see them again if I unbolt the seats? TIA, of course.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Never done it myself but take a peek underneath. It's all real basic and I'd Imagine they are welded to the bodywork but I could be wrong.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Good shape and good engine!

AJH (waving)

Reply to
AJH

Hello Andrew - fancy bumping into you here :-)

Reply to
Andrew

I'll have a poke around and see how I get on. A lack of negative response is enough to get me going! Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew

It's very easy, unless the screws shear, so it might be worth slathering on the PlusGas a day or two before you try. It's sometimes worth removing just the seat cushions, and folding the squabs flat, if all you need is extra floor length.

The seats take up a surprising amount of your bedroom when you've taken them out.

I've even been told of someone who took out the back seats and seat belts so his Rangey couldn't fail its MoT on the big rust holes in the rear arches, next to the seat belt mounts.

Reply to
Autolycus

Well I do still have a couple of landrovers, a 110 and a two door convertible, gently rusting away.

I haven't owned a range rover for several years, it was an 84 model and never gave me any trouble except for the petrol bills. A "mate" bought it from me, half down half later, I'm still waiting and the vehicle is now famous for being the donor featured in a TV programme converting it to an offroader.

AJH

Reply to
andrew heggie