Help... Bleeding a 110 system

Previous posted on here regarding a C Reg 110 2.5 NA Defender (converted from petrol to diesel). My boyfriend has started to look at it but we currently can not get hold of a haynes manual (not even sure if this will be of any help at all anyway)

Can anyone tell us how you go about bleeding the fuel system. We tried to turn it over and there seems to be fuel up to the injector pump but it does not go any further towards the injectors. It has been standing for around a year unused (last started 8 months ago).

Also, does anyone have any details on the injector pump as we were going to attempt taking it apart and checking it wasnt stuck etc.

Donna

Reply to
Donna (UK)

In message , "Donna (UK)" writes

DONT take it apart.

If you don't know how to bleed it then you stand no chance of putting an injection pump back together.

If fuel is getting to the pump, and not the injectors them check the fuel stop solenoid is getting power.

Bleeding with the ignition switch on will clear the pump body of air once the filter etc. is bled. Then crack off and injector pipe and crank using starter.

The 2.5NA is a pain to bleed compared with TDI's but should be straight forward.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thank you for the reply, boyfriend is currently working with classic cars but doesnt really have much knowledge of diesel, so is learning what he can. He tested the fuel solenoid that seems to be working fine. We still cant seem to get any fuel out the injector pump. Any clues?

Reply to
Donna (UK)

On or around 15 Apr 2006 07:51:34 -0700, "Donna (UK)" enlightened us thusly:

OK...

make sure the battery's charged.

person under bonnet: wear eye protection.

check that there's current to the stop solenoid, also that when you apply current to it you hear it click. If there's no current or no obvious action, remedy the solenoid first.

Working at each injector, loosen the pipe union about half-to-one turn - ideally, you want to hold the injector body still but not always essential.

have an assistant crank the engine, with ignition on. Observe the fuel pipes (where you loosened them) and you should see froth and then diesel squirting out. for each pipe, once there's no more froth, just high pressure diesel, nip up the pipe union. Once each injector has been bled, and no more air emerges, that cylinder should start firing - if you do 1 and

3 in that order it should, once you've got 1 and 3 firing, run by itself without cranking while you do 2 and 4.

If you get no fuel at the injector end of the delivery pipes, then the sop solenoid is not working, or possibly the thing that it pushed inside the pump is stuck. Unscrewing the solenoid from the pump should allow you to test it and see that it operates.

I'm assuming you've primed the pump at this point - there's generally a lift pump with a lever or other priming device - identify the feed and return from the diesel pump and having slackened them make sure you get diesel from both, then tighten 'em up again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have a look at this site, lots of free downloadable manuals there...

't worry, they are in English.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Thank you Austin & Bob... Will have another look tomorrow and mean while check out the manuals.

Reply to
Donna (UK)

In message , "Donna (UK)" writes

Another thought

Have you ever seen the engine run?

Reply to
Marc Draper

When i rebuilt by 2.5 diesel, it took me about 3 or 4 batteries worth of cranking before i got fuel through into the right places and managed to start it.

I've always bled it by working through the fuel system loosining off connectors and then cranking till fuel came out.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 16 Apr 2006 08:22:55 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

you should be able to hand-pump the low-pressure parts, and only need actual cranking for the injector pump up to the injectors.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

If your lift pump works :). I did hand prime up to the injector pump. It is the plumbing after this that takes ages to fill up.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hi all

thank you for the replies, we managed to get the engine running. The injection pump needed a little whack to free whatever was stuck and voila! My boyfriends dad is manufacturing a lil union to join the loose pipe from the rocker box cover to the air pipe to recirculate any oil so it is burnt off. (someone has cut off half of the air manifold which is where the loose pipe was connected to we assume) Any other ideas appreciated?

It is good to see it running again after it has been standing unused for just under a year...

Donna

Reply to
Donna (UK)