Help - Disco1 or Defender 90

I have finally persuaded SWMBO to let me buy a toy for off-road use :-)

Really fancy a Defender 90 but OMG the prices are daft, looking at least £5k for a straight 200/300 Tdi with no mods. On the flip side I can get a Disco

1 V8 (with LPG kit) Auto with everything, winch ,snorkel, rock sliders, lifted etc for around £3k with a years T+T

I can't decide, head says Disco but heart says 90.

Only thing putting me off the Disco is the Auto box, not great with big tyres for offroad descents and the LPG kit, not sure how reliable these single point systems are.

Help!!!!

Reply to
Andy

If your using it as a play thing you don't want a petrol.

You want a Tdi

What the Tdi is wrapped in is a matter of comfort.

The 90 will always have the edge on capability.

They aren't cheap because they last, they work and no one lets them go unless they really really have to.

Discos are victims of fashion where family owners are concerned. They may still be fit for purpose but not "trendy" so they get sold to get the current new / newer thing.

For me the deciding factor would be passenger comfort. Any more than 2 of you ant a 90 isn't funny.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Yeah, i know the feeling...

Ive got a 90, which i love driving. its so much better than the disco on the smile front.

However when we go away for the weekend, on the way back im always thinking - i wich i had a disco!

One day we might need more than 2 seats - that will be the decider i think.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

You should have bought mine matey!

Reply to
Nige

90 is better off-road but much less comfy than a disco, and the disco will be worth very little in a year's time whereas the 90 will hold its value much better.

Go for a diesel though, I'm not sure how landrover do it but I've seen plenty of petrols conk out at the first sniff of water off-road, doesn't seem to affect my petrol pinzgauer. The 300TDi is a nice engine, wish I had one in the pinz. My Defender 110 has an intercooler upgrade, see if you can find a 300TDi with one already fitted.

I certainly wouldn't bother with an auto disco with an LPG kit, too many negatives!

However if you have a normal car, and want to use the new beast as a toy, then play properly and get the 90! They're much more fun to drive.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I should plug my Disco at this point its cheap at any rate

how much you want to spend but for weekend fun then a 90 is the bizDerek

Reply to
Derek

Fuck me, that Landybitz site is a pig to look at. That's the first time I've looked at it (as I say, it looked like spam), and it's a bloody eyesore. The "related items" bit in the way of what I was looking at irritated me, and the fact that I had to look for the Derekmobile instead of just going straight to it isn't good either.

Reply to
Pete M

It will be a pure off-road toy, I am keeping the Disco 3 for family/work etc so comfort isn't an issue in the new one.

Kind of told me what I thought, go for the 90 and enjoy it :-)

Cheers all

Reply to
Andy

On or around Tue, 18 Mar 2008 19:25:49 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

Actually, if bought cheap and it's been reasonably well serviced so the engine's not shagged, there's a lot going for it. The V8 is not bad in water, and can be improved by some fairly simple splashproofing and decent grade leads if it's not got them.

The auto box is if anything stronger than the manual ones, and although it's a bit prone to take off down hill, it has advantages off-road in other situations. I didn't regret the auto conversion on my 110.

The LPG partly depends on how it's been done. Provided the tanks are well attached and not to low-slung, it's a good way of getting fuel prices with the sound and fun-value of the V8. Best ones use a tank in place of the petrol tank and have a smaller wing tank for petrol - that's what I did on my disco and you don't really lose any off-road ability. Twin sill tanks can cost you a bit of underbody clearance, but they're not generally much lower than the chassis is anyway - the tanks are pretty tough, though, and if securely mounted can be slid along the ground :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thank you for your constructive comments

related items now removed

after all we aint ebay and thats the benchmark everyone uses to compare our site. besides that do you have any other suggestions or ideas you would like implemented.

I know most people don't like new things or change but landybitz is different by design and may take some getting used to the different layouts and features. We do listen to genuine constructive comments and try to implement suggestions and are continually upgrading and improving the site

-- landybitz

Reply to
landybitz.com land rover parts auction site

Do you define the categories?

If so it's Land Rover, not Land rover. Oh and Interior is spelt that way, not Interia (which looks like a miss-spelling of Inertia ;-) )

...back to fixing servers.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Hi Neil,

Thanks for taking the time to browse our site and for spotting a few typo's we do define all the categories and will amend the errors shortly.

we do appreciate your genuine comments and it makes a change from people just slagging off our site and calling us spam merchants,

All new ventures take time to perfect and we hope that genuine supporters will appreciate what we are trying to achieve

-- Landybitz

Reply to
landybitz.com land rover parts auction site

Whoosh......

If it looks like a duck ...

Reply to
Rich B

I'm not against your site in any way, in fact, I think it's a good idea.

However, my comments above were based on what I saw when I looked at Derek's advert. I'm a typical web user. I don't like having to dig for what I'm looking for - even scrolling around to look for something (if I've got a direct link) is enough to make me think "I'll look elsewhere".

Hence my comments above.

I wish the site all the best, don't take the comments personally. I just don't like spam, which is what your initial postings looked like. TBH your posting name still looks like it, if it was just Landybitz it'd probably help your cause somewhat.

Reply to
Pete M

Sure no problem, as im new to this group i may have stepped out of line a little with original post like everything else its a big learning curve

and you cant please everyone all of the time

But i do take you comments on board

landybitz will never be everyones cup of tea but i will continue to work with it to make it what people want. I have spent a lot of time effort and money and don't intend to give up just because someone doesn't like it

But with support it could grow to be something we can all enjoy

-- Landybitz

Reply to
landybitz.com

Sure no problem, as im new to this group i may have stepped out of line a little with original post like everything else its a big learning curve

and you cant please everyone all of the time

But i do take you comments on board

landybitz will never be everyones cup of tea but i will continue to work with it to make it what people want. I have spent a lot of time effort and money and don't intend to give up just because someone doesn't like it

But with support it could grow to be something we can all enjoy

-- Landybitz

I'm happy to be a seller in the car section after getting arsed about by ebay this year I doubt I would try them again.It takes time to refine a site into something folk are comfortable with I'll have to give the garage a clear out this weekend so there may be some more stuff to go on. I did think of selling my WSM but I think the postage might be more than the cost of the book. Derek

Reply to
Derek