Help - gauge problem

Hello all

My instrument panel has just started doing odd things. My temperature gauges (oil and water) have stopped working. The fuel gauge is showing less than a quarter of a tank (I have just filled it up).

Where do I start looking? Could it be a relay?

Vehicle is 1991 110 Defender (ex MOD).

Cheers Taff

Reply to
Taff

"Taff" wrote >

If you had said it was a S111 I'd have said dodgy earth or connection behind the instrument panel.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

On or around Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:47:50 +0100, "Bob Hobden" enlightened us thusly:

I think there may be a voltage regulator hiding in there somewhere, if so, it might be buggered.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Can't see a regulator on the diagrams that I have.

Assuming that the military version is fundamentally the same as the civvy, power seems to come directly to all the mentioned gauges straight from the fusebox. This fuse also supplies the brake lights and indicators - are they still working? I'd be looking for a loose/broken connection behind the instruments if the fuse is OK.

The fuel gauge problem may not have the same cause.

Taff, I can send you some circuit diagrams from the manual if it would help. Which engine? Do you have twin tanks?

Dougal.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi Dougal and everyone else..

Thanks for your replies

It is 2.5 N/A diesel. It only has the one fuel tank.

The indicators are still working. I haven't checked the brake lights but no one has driven into the back of me. The fuel gauge problem may have a different cause but it did all happen at the same time.

I have a Haynes manual. Are your circuit diagrams the same as in Haynes?

Cheers Taff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dougal" Newsgroups: alt.fan.landrover Sent: Monday, April 11, 2005 11:32 PM Subject: Re: Help - gauge problem

Reply to
Taff

Almost certainly a faulty earth on the gauges. This on mine is a collection of tags under one of the gauge mounting bolts - and the nut comes loose. These gauges need an earth on the gauge to function correctly. Confirmation that this is the problem will be if the gauge readings change when the instrument lights are on. JD

Reply to
JD

Righto guys and gals... I sorted it...

I found a loose connection behind the fuse box.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Taff

Reply to
Taff