Help! How do I get the rear disks off a Discovery 3?

Well it was a nice day so I thought that I had better take advantage of it and change the disks and pads on the Discovery. All the parts had been sitting in the workshop for several weeks since the last service when the dealer had informed me all the pads and disks needed changing Being a long time Land Rover owner I of course decided to save a few bob and do the job myself. Lets face it, changing modern brake parts is a doddle isn't it?

OK so that's the background. Having removed the near side rear wheel, calliper, carrier and the little bolt that holds the disk on I tried to remove the disk. No joy. It was then that I realised that the new fangled electronic handbrake in Discovery 3s works on a separate drum brake located inside the rear disks, not off the transmission as in previous models. So I released the handbrake and hey presto, the wretched disk still would not come off! Although it could now be rotated and could be prised (bashed with a hammer) out by about half an inch or so. Clearly there is some way of backing the shoes off but I am blowed if I can work out what it is. There is a small plastic plug in the outer face of the disk through which I can just see few bits of the internals, including an allen bolt which I tried slackening a bit so see if that was the way to do it. Still no joy. So I put the whole thing back together and have hit the Internet.

Does anyone please have any idea how the remove (and replace) the rear disks on a Discovery 3?

Thanks

Patrick

Series III with broken manifold Defender 90 awaiting fitting of wading kit Discovery 3 with worn out brakes

Reply to
Patrick Manuel