Help! - how do i remove the crank pulley? (101 v8)

The manual says 'remove the starter dog'.

Can anybody offer anything slightly more useful and informative?!

For starters it is in a really deep hole, and secondly i cant see any hex bits round the edge of it! Does it have a hex socket drive and do i just need to get the correct deep socket for it? It is bigger than 27mm which is the only deep soocket i have to hand!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:26:38 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

There's a hex on it, but it's foookin' big[1]. sod-off deep socket, extension and a decent rattle-gun, I should think. I was looking at the one on the series III the other day, but luckily it wasn't necessary to remove it.

[1] memory says 1.5/16" but I've no idea why, I've never had to undo one. If so it might be the same size as commercial 10-stud wheel nuts.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

do machinemart or halfrauds sell individual impact sockets of the right sorta size?

Reply to
Tom Woods

my series is a 30something mm socket and i have a normal depth one of them!

Reply to
Tom Woods

correct

socket,

Many MANY years ago (probably 25) I had this problem with a S11A 6 pot

2.6 litre and just had to stump up for a massive socket to undo it. I know it was an absolute pain to get undone. I had the engine out at the time and couldn't easily lock it from turning.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

1 5/16ths looks good. ive got a 32mm socket which almost fits and 1 5/16ths works out at about 33mm...
Reply to
Tom Woods

bollocks!

ive managed to borrow a 1 5/16ths socket but it wont fit down the hole!

Ive removed the air compressor pulley and it has left what looks like a big spacer held on by 3 bolts..

however when i turn the 3 bolts i get a rubbery noise and they just turn forever without undoing - so i guess they are into rubber bushed holes in the crank pulley itself and the rubber has perished.

Is there anything i can do about this? I am getting very tempted not to do the cam and tappets now and just to chuck the headgaskets in until i can get the engine out..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I actually spoke to a mate who is a bmw mechanic thismorning incase he had a 33mm deep socket at work and he doesnt reckon they do so im not sure if it is a bmw hub socket. I'll ask him what size the hub is when i see him in the pub next!

Reply to
Tom Woods

it could be.. i was turning the bolts with a 13mm socket but they could be 5/16ths.

so there is no way to get at the nuts till the pulley is off? bastards! The deep socket i have borrowed from the local garage would fit on if that wernt in the way!

Ive found a sealey 33mm deep impact socket on t'internet for £8 ish. Looks like i might have to get it up to Steve T along with the spark plug socket and get him to remodel them to fit.

Reply to
Tom Woods

You could try a BMW hub socket, some of those are 33mm and quite deep. Brocklehurst's in Leek used to do them for about 6 or 7 quid, but I've no idea if they still do since PMF took over :-(

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Is the thing you are looking at the vibration damper - held on with three 5/16 bolts? If so, those bolts have nuts on the back, and so will turn - said nuts are carfully hidden behind the oil thrower! If you get the bulley bolt out, the whole lot comes off the end of the crank.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Well, you could drill the heads off the bolts if your feeling brave!

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds

Back Monday morning.