help! Impending MOT and my fog lights dont work!

The 101 has its MOT booked for tommorrow morning. I have just been out doing the final touches and testing things and found that my rear fogs have somehow stopped working in the last couple of weeks.

I've done some quick testing and it is the main feed wire which doesnt work.

If i were to remove the light covers and bulbs and do something like screwing a lumpy patch over the light fitting (which i could then slap hammerite on to make it match the x-member) will this stop them from testing the lights?

I cant remove the light fitting itself as it is too well esatblished in its position!

Help!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Not sure it's much help but I removed both of mine completely as I hadn't time to finalise the wiring and it passed the MOT a few weeks ago, it's a 1972 so you don't have to have them but if fitted they must work. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Hi Tom. I have a horrible feeling they're mandatory on a 1981 vehicle.

Steve

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

But is Toms an '81 or just a plate it was allocated?

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

All 101's are technically 75s, but the ambis used stock that had never been on the road, so they got plated as 81s AIUI.

Steve

Reply to
steve

On or around Tue, 9 Jan 2007 16:38:31 -0000, "Dr_D" enlightened us thusly:

from the MOT manual:

The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980.

so I reckon provided you have documentation that makes it older than that, you'd be OK.

failure points are:

a. is missing, does not emit a steady red light or emits a light other than red

b. incomplete, not in good working order or not visible from a reasonable distance

c. is insecure, obscured or not facing to the rear

d. flickers when tapped lightly by hand

e. tell-tale does not work

f. adversely affected by the operation of any other lamp.

If you can't make it older than 1/4/1980 then they'll get you on one or another, I'm afraid. Are they wired through a relay?

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

According to the DVLA my 101 is an 82. This is what the MOT testers will go by. I keep meaning to sort out getting it put down as its real age (77) but have never got round to it! As soon as i have had some tea I am going to go outside and run a bodge cable through the body and join it into the wiring just behind the light.. If it wasnt absolutely pissing it down this wouldnt be quite so bad!.

yep, front and rear are through a relay. fronts work. got power behind the dash on that side of the connector that goes to the rear lights. No power on the teminal in the back of the rear lamp fittings though.

Reply to
Tom Woods

They are.

From the MoT web site:

"The inspection of rear fog lamps is confined to the one rear fog lamp which is required to be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980."

Will

Reply to
Will Wilkinson

now bodged with an extra cable run through that back and out the back door :)

and i even managed to pump an extra 15psi or so into the front tyres. I'm gonna stop at a garage tommorrow to add the rest with the air line! There is far too much air in a bargrip!

Reply to
Tom Woods

So why do you need to add more :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

cos even with the extra 15 or so there is still only 25 or so in there! ;) I think it must have shrunk in the wet or something!

Reply to
Tom Woods

What are you aiming for ? Its 28 isn't it ?

Anyway, best of luck for tomorrow.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Enough to make them look slightly less bulgy than they do now which is more than the 25 or so they have in now.

Ive got a feeling its going to fail on something! (if it even makes it there without breaking down!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

I guess that means even if something were earlier and you could prove it, if it were first used on the road after 80 you have to comply.

Reply to
Larry

Well???

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

passed! :)

Now i need to seal the exhaust up properly as i think the downpipe is not attached to the manifold on one side anymore! (exhaust was new 18 months ago and it hasnt moved since i fitted it and i cant actually recall if i even tightened it up properly then!), This means i am not quite deaf and people were ducking for cover when it backfired!

Also the main beam warning light is actually operating on low beam (I thought the lights seemed damn bright!), and the bulb in the speedo blew on the way home.

Now I feel like it is getting somewhere! - Lee - buy morph back and we can have a reunion! :)

I am also well impressed with the new sound/heat proofing... the engine cover is still cool to the touch on the outside after a 30 minute drive!! The glue on the back of it is crap but the material itself is great.

Reply to
Tom Woods