HELP ME PLEASE!!

I recently knackered my engine (2.5TD) doing a spot of off-roading. It overheated whilst waiting for recovery (I didn't want to switch it off as my starter had packed in earlier) and engine was completely submerged in sludge. Subsequent diagnosis was it dropped a hot-spot in number 3 cylinder. Engine locked up, bent push rods and valves

I've had the head reconditioned. I've fit new push rods. I've fit new piston rings. I've had the crank ground & fit under-sized shells to match.

Before this disaster it was running sweet as a nut - unbelievably well, in fact.

Now, the bl@@dy thing smokes like a chimney, knocks, and is overheating after a very short run.

Can anybody suggest anything that may be causing this.

Yours, desperately, Icky.

Reply to
the ickys

Worn pistons and/or worn bores are likely. Is the new head of known quality? Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Sounds like timing is way out to me.

Reply to
PDannyD

You need a rebore, oversize pistons & rings.

This is why people tend to junk them after they've had that kind of abuse, they're never quite the same again.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Does the TD have a timing belt like the 2.5N/A? Are you sure that the belt didnt get damaged when the engine locked up?. You could take the cover off and check that everything lines up properly.

Did you do anything to the injectors while they were out?. I had one of the injectors on my 2.5N/A get stuck open and it made it smoke lots and run very badly (I thought the belt had jumped). I'm guessing, but a dodgy injector could possibly cause running problems

Reply to
Tom Woods

Possibly even a bent con rod. Bit of a waste of time sorting this type of damage out without thoroughly checking everything. Sometimes you can get lucky with sorting the top end out but I would have replaced the engine.

Sean

73FL74 101GS 1984 110 2.5D Medway Military Vehicle Group
Sean Ryan

Apologies, just re-read post properly, assume con rods would have been checked. Timing would be the first thing to check.