Help - My engine has confused me ...

2 years ago I thought I'd bought a 200TDi Defender. The fan belt snapped the other day so I bought a replacement. Reading the Haynes manual the fan belt arrangement would appear to be off the 19J engine. Certainly picture 18.10 on page 1.13 looks exactly like mine and according to the manual is off a 19J engine, with one belt crankshaft to pas pump and the other belt crankshaft to alternator to fan.

The engine number is 11L 22543A which I understand is 200TDi but I'm a bit confused about the belt arrangement. Is the 19J arrangement the same on the 200TDi? The manual says to measure the tension between the coolant pump and the power steering pump pulleys, but as far as I can tell there is not a belt between these two.

The double pulley on the end of the crankshaft will need replacing because there are two big chunks missing from the edge of the V which has undoubtedly caused the failure of my fan belt. The belt itself looks like it's been shredded along the sides.

If my ASCII art had been up to it I could have saved a thousand words, but it's not :-)

Any help appreciated in identifying my engine,

Regards,

Dave, aka Confused of Swindon.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs

Dave,

Fear ye not, the belt arrangement is the same on the 200tdi and 19J (turbo diesel), i swapped my old turbo for a 200tdi lump on my old 90 and they are very similar.

200tdi looks like this:
Look at the rocker cover, should be "finned", the old 19J had a domed one similar to most old land rovers

Dave, confused, but not in Swindon

Reply to
Dave R

Thanks for your help Dave, much appreciated.

It's still a mystery how the crank pulley got so damaged, but I guess a replacement is fairly cheap. Time to get it to the garage I think.

Regards,

Dave.

Reply to
Dave Gibbs