Help please for a 90 Turbo Diesel

Hi all

I have a 1990 90TD and I am encountering the following problem.

When I drive at speeds in excess of about 45mph for more than a few minutes (ie speeds when the turbo should be in operation) the car loses all power and comes to a halt with the engine giving up entirely, I solve this by undoing the fuel filler cap when pops off like a morter bomb leaving what fuel is visible bubbling like lemonade. The vehicle runs fine after this. This is becoming a real pain for all but the very shortest or slowest journeys. I was told before that there could be a leak in the diaphagm in the plenum chamber (whatever that is) but it occurs to me that instead of the turbo charging the mixture it is charging the fuel tank instead. I've unblocked the breather tube to the tank and bought a new filler cap (which according the landrover is only vented on the way in anyway). The pressure is building up inside the tank and not creating a vacuum as should be the case.As i can only go a few miles it is hard to tell but it doesn't seem like the turbo is working on the engine either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Mark Cable

In article , Mark Cable writes

Hi

On the top of the injection pump is a diaphragm that monitors the turbo boost pressure and alters the fueling to suit.

This diaphragm is split causing the turbo to pressurise the fuel tank. this can also cause the engine to race out of control too.

A simple job to sort out.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
marc