Help: Trouble getting into gear

Sounds like a selectot problem, maybe worn , possibly affected by the heat? (I'm assuming your in the UK)

What is your truck?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

..have read through the FAQ and searched the google news groups - but cant find a 'getting into gear' problem quite the same as mine..

When moving - I can change gears absolutely fine. No problems even slightly. Sometimes, however, I have trouble getting into gear when I'm stationary. I can always select reverse no problems, but 1st to 4th just wont engage. Also curiously - I can engage the overdrive, when in neutral, or put the over-drive in neutral and then engage a gear - but not both engaged at the same time. Has happened to me twice this evening whilst stopped at lights. The only way I could get going again, was to keep trying and eventually force the lever into 4th. Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Mark Gowans

Aha - that sounds plausible - as it has been very hot recently. I am in the UK yes, and the vehicle is a Series 3 88". Whats a good way to check the selectot then? Is this something I can coax into life with the addition of more oil?

Many thanks,

"Lee_D"

stationary.

Reply to
Mark Gowans

On or around Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:01:10 -0000, "Mark Gowans" enlightened us thusly:

dragging clutch?

You've got synchromesh on the forward gears, which will balk if the clutch is dragging.

does it go into reverse noisily?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes I suppose there is a bit of noise going into reverse thinking about it. Everything works absolutely fine when the vehicle is moving tho?

Mark Gowans