Help ! Violent shaking from my 110

Help please, I have a problem with my 1989 110 CSW. When driving at about 30mph, the landy goes over a little bump or drain cover and the whole front of the landy starts to shake violently. Slowing right down stops it untill I speed up and hit a bump again.

I've had the wheels balanced and even swopped them from front to back with no effect.

I have checked and adjusted front wheel bearings and checked for any excess wear in the swivel hubs. But there is a lot of play in the front axle panhard bush underneath the power steering box.

I phoned Paddocks to order panhard bushes, and they said it might be the steering damper.

Any suggestions please ?

Thanks

Reply to
Rocket

These are all the symptoms of a shot steering damper, I agree with Paddocks on this one.

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

According to Bill Gates, on Thu, 05 Feb 2004 16:22:25 GMT, "Alan Mudd" knelt at the big white telephone and heaved this into alt.fan.landrover:

Thank you Alan. It is mighty worrying when it happens. Have you had this problem before ?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
Rocket

I agree, its the steering damper. Buy a known brand rather than a copy or you'll be changing it again soon. Regards

Reply to
Rudolph Hucker

I've just ordered one from Paddocks. Are these of reasonable quality ?

Best wishes Mark

Reply to
Rocket

If I were you I would replace the Panhard rod bushes too - especially as you mention that they have play in them. They can indeed cause the problem you have.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I've had the same happen on my 1988 RR some time back, it didn't go gradually though, the seal went and it dropped all it's oil in one hit and I was wobbling violently...I thought something catastrophic had happened.

New damper, no problems.....

As Steve suggests - do the panhard rod bushes whilst your at it.

And I put a gas damper on my car which to be honest didn't seem any different to the standard one before it failed.

Alan Mudd

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Both the panhard bushes and the sterring damper can be a cause of this, as can a lack of friction in the swivels.

I had this really badly on my 2nd RR. WHen I got the steering damper off it was actually acting like a gas spring around the centre position!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Williamson

Once you've fitted the damper, don't be surprised if the shaking doesn't go away. If this is the case it is probably because the pre-load on the swivels is set incorrectly - IIRC it needs to be set to 20nm.

Reply to
Exit

According to Bill Gates, on Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:53:25 GMT, "Exit" knelt at the big white telephone and heaved this into alt.fan.landrover:

How do I do this ?

Thanks. Mark

Reply to
Rocket

On or around Thu, 5 Feb 2004 21:50:00 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Williamson" enlightened us thusly:

hmmm. mine does a bit of that under the wrong circumstances, so maybe the dampers getting weak on mine as well

There's only one place in my normal route that particularly triggers it off though.

meanwhile, I've had similar results from a shot suspension damper on a car.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

See

- search around abit and you'll find a wealth of material on dealing with the shakes and onsetting swivel pre-load. HIH - Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley

Best instruction is - get hold of a manual! JD

Reply to
JD

Now that I have gone away and had a think, i did once get similar symptoms when one of the trailing arm bushes at the back self destructed. Lots of shimmy after a bump!

kept looking at the front axle until a passenger todle me how much worse it was in back compared to up front!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Williamson

According to Bill Gates, on Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:54:28 GMT, "Mike Buckley" knelt at the big white telephone and heaved this into alt.fan.landrover:

Thank you Mike, This link is most valuable and has been added to my 'favourites' folder for future reference.

I have fitted the steering damper which has not cured the fault. The pre-load on the swivel balls seems to be the most likely cause of this after thinking about it.

Thank you all, and I shall keep you updated.

Mark

Reply to
Rocket

On or around Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:20:39 +0000, Austin Shackles enlightened us thusly:

the other day I looked at the steering damper. I suspect the fact that it's loose enough that you can wobble the middle side-to-side while the ends stay still is not indicative of perfect condition.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Three words...

Panhard