Help with alternator fault

Hi My Disco runs fin with out lights, bu when using light after dark - a good idea as I tell numerous kids on bikes! the charging light comes on. I have also noticed the the rev counter is zero and would not trust the speedo which does as it likes. The battery is fine and I have tried a replacement but no go. Help please I want to go on holiday on tuesday.

please email me with ideas at snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Thanks

St.John

Reply to
stjohn

Duff alternator. Check the wiring is all in place at the back of the alternator, if that is all ok then go buy a new alt.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 10:44:19 +0000 (UTC), "stjohn" enlightened us thusly:

alternator, or possibly drive belt. Or, if you;re really lucky, crappy connections to the alternator. But internal failure of the alternator most likely.

The rev counter is driven from the alternator, from an AC output.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Many Thanks - I was hoping it was not the alternator I had fitted a secondhand one Also a dud by the sounds of it StJohn

Reply to
Stjohn2002 via CarKB.com

Many Thanks - thats two that say the alternators duff

Reply to
Stjohn2002 via CarKB.com

Hang on a minute!! The charging light is only coming on with the lights not under normal running. Before lashing out for a new alternator check that the belt is not slipping - they need to be really tight, I can never get mine tight enough. Dunno how the garage does it, HBOL says don't lever it but there's no other way and I still can't get it tight enough! Second, get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery with the engine off ( should be at least 12v, more like 13), then with the engine running at about 1500 rpm, ( should then be above 13v ) and finally with the lights on.

Might save you a few bob. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Have the original tested while it's off. Most places will do this for nothing. Have them both tested, then you *won't* be in the dark. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Hi,

If it runs fine until you put the lights on, could you have a fault in your lighting circuit? Sounds like the circuit is drawing too much current but not enough to blow the fuse, so could be something like a cable chafing and is just starting to short. Or an earthing fault.

I had similar symptoms when towing a friends trailer which had a wiring fault.

Cheers! Graham Carter

Reply to
Graham Carter

dark - a good

current but

chafing and

Rev counter drive is from the alternator electronics (or at least it was on my Disco 300TDI), so combining the symptoms of 'charging light' and 'no rev counter indication' I would conclude it's the alternator. At least when it happened to me I was on a garage forecourt fueling up and couldn't re-start. Stand by for high price of Disco alternators if (as I was) you absolutely have to have the vehicle the following day and only the local Landrover dealer has stock !

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson