Help with part numbers

I'm trying to replace a faulty speedo on my 1972 SIII 109 and the parts book for 73 refers to a 579188, I've come across one with the markings SNT-4212/04AS 1408 which the seller was told is correct for the vehicle, can anyone cross reference these please or is there somewhere I can look for these SNT numbers? Greg

Reply to
Greg

There is usually a little 4-digit number on the face of the speedo, which is the calibration. 1408 seems a familiar number, does the old one have this number on it somewhere? IIRC 1408 is correct for a 109" with 7.50 tyres. An earlier 88" should have a different number, as these were calibrated for 6.00/6.50x16

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Sat, 02 Sep 2006 21:29:40 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

Spooky, I was just going to post something about this.

Having looked at loads of s/h speedos at Malvern...

there are 2 types, as far as I can see. The SNT-4212 ones and SNT-6209 ones. There are also those other numbers, but they seem to vary somewhat at random, not all are 4-digit, I've got 2 with 1536 on but both read different, one is a 4212 and one a 6209. There are certainly more than 2 different final numbers where you have 1408.

The SNT-6209 one was sold as being off a LWB, so should suit 7.50 tyres. All SWB series motors were on 6.00 or 205 (very late ones) tyres so the SWB speedos should all be the same.

Now, unless someone has a definitive answer... what I'd like all the series III owners with 90 mph clocks to do, especially if you KNOW your motor is on it's original speedo head, is to look at the little numbers at the bottom of the dial and report what they are, also what vehicle.

I could have got a brand new KMH one at the show. That was marked 6209 as well, but it was 50 quid...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes mine has the numbers SNT-4212/04 1408 on the face i.e. the same except for the AS, but of course one of the previous owners could have fitted the wrong one so it doesn't prove a lot 8-). Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Sun, 3 Sep 2006 22:28:26 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

Is yours SWB or LWB? oh, and another point: does yours have the trip meter or not - my 2 which are 4212 don't...

I've got 2 4212s here, one with 1536 and one with 1408 (IIRC). The one that came with my vehicle was the 1408 one, and had gone senile, reading way too high. The one which is 4212 1536 seemed to read credibly up to about 35 and then started dancing, so is obviously dodgy. The one in my motor when I had it read apparently about right, mind. The current one has the trip counter and is 6209 1536 and seems to read slightly low, possibly as much as the difference between the tyre sizes, which is about 10%. This one was sold as being off a LWB, but of course it could have been non-original.

Anyone else? Actually, I know of a dead SIII down the road I can go and look at, now I think of it, and maybe nick the speedo off :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It's LWB without trip meter, though there is the hole in the panel for the reset knob but I think this is always present. Greg

Reply to
Greg