Heresy - burn the witch

What, the bags?

Reply to
GbH

Airport employees have been known to......

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

I have a plan to take old folk from the homes out for a jaunt into the hills, especially some of the old locals, "I can remember when these fields was all fields" kind of thing. It's a long term plan though, with no beginning in sight!

Yes, but around here there may be enough farms to avoid that, it might be an issue when getting from one farm to the next, two fields might be next to each other but if owned by different farmers, probably no gate between them although might be possible to put them in. Plus of course there's the issue of permission, and if a commercial venture, payment.

The pinz has a sealed disc brake mounted on the rear of the central driveshaft, so this acts on the two rear axles and also the front if drive is connected to it. No UJs or CVs in the pinz drivetrain at all other than in the front swivels, plus a short shaft between the gearbox and transfer box.

The South Downs I know are out near Pangbourne in Berkshire I think, some quite long tracks up there, but some very overgrown ones where you drive for a mile or two through a tunnel of trees, scraping the side of the truck, a bitch if you meet someone else coming the other way. A fair few quite nice ones though. Round here there are some nice lanes with good views, although I can never remember which ones they are!

Pretty much, "where's all this blood coming from?"

Sounds plausible enough, although personally I wasn't planning on doing it for profit, not sure if you were or not (or even how come we ended up talking about this).

Weekly oil change? Blimey...

The other issue with older vehicles is that, certainly for non-profit use, the legislation is much less strict so less red tape to mess about with. Not sure if that carries over significantly into the commercial sector. Fuel costs go up though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That sounds like fun:-)

The choices are to either use private ground, with permission, & given farmers' & landowners' general attitude to such things, money changing hands, or using green lanes, which technically don't need permission, but need all the public carriage stuff. You also need to use public roads to get from one lane to another, unless you can find some private stuff long enough to take half a day or so. It might be an idea to offer some cash towards the (assumed) cost of repairing the lanes you use regularly.

That'd be OK, probably. I've given up trying to second guess VOSA, though.

Easy enough to find with a recce or two;-)

The ones with the tunnel of trees effect have people wondering why you're there very quickly, though.

Ouch...

Random thoughts about 4 wheel drive transits with minibus seats in:-) I was hoping to do it to at least break even, & hopefully give me a living doing stuff I want to do anyway;-)

The official guidelines for my SIIa say that if you go wading, you should change the axle oils daily, the engine oil weekly, & the air filter oil when it starts looking emulsified or difficult to see through for the dust in it. I don't know if that's changed even now for the new ones.

Well, I suspect the authorities may go for the cautious gold plated approach to the rules initially. Fuel costs would go up, but depreciation goes down, while maintenance costs & other sundries go up.

Spreadsheets are your friends here;-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Well, being in an old folk's home seems so bloody miserable, although for some (like my dad, old and disabled in the first place too) there's not much choice given the need for 24hr care.

Indeed, I already go out on lane repairing missions with an organised group, although health issues stopped me being active much last year, and now I'm mostly healthy, we're apparently having trouble getting the councils to deliver the material we need to repair the lanes!

There's a fair few companies out there who use the lanes and don't contribute, they've got the problem of course that even if they want to contribute they have to compete with those who don't give a toss and lead 50+ vehicle convoys through the hills of Wales. I have no idea if there are complicating matters or not.

Oh yes that was it!

Yeah, that would be nice, lucky you with no mortgage!! I could in theory flog my house, pay off my debts, and have a wedge left over and live in the pinz ;-) A chap I know with no mortgage is about to remortgage his house so he can help his kids afford their own house... What a bummer!

Ah, what you need is a totally sealed drivetrain like another vehicle I could mention ;-) Mind you it does have a single breather on top of the main gearbox, but that's quite some way off the ground.

Can't remember what the instructions on the Defender are, but water's never kind to a vehicle so I suspect regular checks at least are in order.

Hard to figure with maintenance costs, what with the older vehicles being more simple and less reliant on iffy electronics. A bit easier to calculate if you go back so far that oil seals are made from cork or leather ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Sorry Austin,

Too many windows through which to nick my gear :-(

Thanks anyway.

Colin

Reply to
CJ

God's waiting rooms:-(

I'm in a work situation where I can never guarantee when I'll be in the country, never mind at home, so I've not joined any local groups yet. As for the councils not being willing to help, this isn't new, my memories of many years ago are of reluctance by the local councils to even admit that you were allowed to drive lanes, never mind help to fix them so they could be used.

Just when you think you're safe...

I suspect the Land Rover instructions have more to do with the quality of the seals & suchlike;-)

Basics every day, & more each week.

That's not that far back. I had a 62 Morris Minor with a rope seal on the crankshaft & cork gaskets all over the place. I've not used leather seals, except on some old boat stuff many years ago. As you say, though, labour costs on something like that would be predictable. Just replace everything every couple of weeks..... You'd need to learn how to cast white metal bearings in situ, too;-)

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Ours hasn't been too bad, or at least I don't think so but then it's not me who deals with them. They have done some daft things, and our local MP (conservative) is the one who kicked off the NERC bill.

Indeed, although driving from road to water when everything's hot is the worst bit, should be OK just crawling around all the time as the heat never arises so the axles shouldn't suck water in.

It was only recently that I found out about such things, when a friend of mine said he needed a new seal for his series 2, and the seal was either cork or rubber.. It's easy not to think about these things but modern rubber lip seals are relatively recent. The pinz has them all over, from 1972 onwards, I thought the series 2 was still around then so I was surprised that it was using cork seals. I expect he's being a bit retro though, he's into vintage cars too.

Hehe, don't like the sound of that ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

This was Surrey & the surrounding areas. I'm in Staffordshire nowadays, but with one thing & another, I've not got round to doing much.

The normal journey profile would be picking people up either at a hotel or a town centre, driving fast to get there, then off roading, so unfortunately, everything would be at normal temperature when you dunk it:-/

I've not looked lately, but I think the sphere seals are leather on mine. I know Land Rover sell/ used to sell leather gaiter kits to keep the dirt away from the spheres & the sliding joints on the propshafts. The rocker cover gasket's definitely supposed to be cork, but mine's Hermetite;-)

The casting bit's apparently quite fun. Then you've to make them fit. Hours of faffing with scraping tools & engineer's blue.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson