Hilift on Disco bumper

Anyone tried to fit a Hilift jack to a Disco rear bumper? Is the bumper strong enough?

At first I though it was a good idea, until I got the jack out. Had kind of forgotten how heavy they are, maybe a bit much for the bumper.

Am now considering just putting the rack on the bumper, and have the mechanical part in the car. Has the added advantage that it doesn't get dirty.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Paddock do some great replacement disco bumpers. with hi laift points etc.

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall

In message , Jason Hall writes

all well and good as long as you remember to chock the wheels, set difflock, handbrake etc otherwise you risk knuckle-prints in the bodywork as everything slips away from the jack and you cling on desperately ...

Reply to
AJG

Hi Andy,

No, I didn't mean to jack under the bumper, but to transport the jack bolted onto the bumper.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 03:27:33 -0600, Pieter Vroom wrote (in article ):

I bolted mine to the spare tire. works real well. I got a mounting bracket from safarigard and I think roversnorth also has them.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

If the spare wheel carrier will carry a bike rack and two adult bikes it will haol a hilift jack.

Peter.

Reply to
Peter Seddon

Same here. Be aware though that the mount is usually designed for Defenders, where the mounting bracket's the other way up. You can flip the whole thing upside down easily enough, but then the jack has to stay the other way up, ie the bracket is upside down but the jack isn't. This means it hangs down too far, unless you flip the jack round to point the other way, and turn the covering plate round too. Is anybody confused yet?

What I'm trying to say is... be careful the jack doesn't hang down too far, because you'll clonk it and bend the spare tyre mount. If you fiddle around you'll find the jack can be mounted higher than it first appears.

David French

I've been thinking about this and I think I've come up with a solution.

Two pieces of thread rod, four nuts, six washers, two wing nuts, a short length of tubing and the standard rear bumper.

Weld a nut and washer to one end of both of the pieces of thread rod.

Drill one hole in the rear bumper and place a piece of thread rod through it from the inside and then use a washer and nut to secure it to the bumper. This is one end of the mount.

Place the jack over this piece of rod and use one of the holes in the rack at the other end to line up the centre for the next hole in the bumper. Mark with a centre punch.

Drill the hole in the new location and repeat with the nut and washer to hold the other piece of thread rod in.

Now cut a short piece of tubing to act as a standoff for the foot of the jack and place it over the rod at the foot end.

Use wingnuts and washers to fix the jack to this set of mounts.

Should be plenty strong enough and will be removable for such things as MOT time where they may well object to a couple of 3" spikes sticking out of your bumper, and I'm not sure what they'd make of a hi-lift jack there either.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown