Historic Vehicle class

Just got my Series Three back from its MOT test and computerised printout shows the year of first use to be 1971 but it's registered in September

1974. If I can prove the age to be 1971 I should be able to get it into the free "Historic Vehicle" VED class. Yey!

Is there anything online where I can enter the chassis number and get the true age? I've Googled but haven't found anything useful yet.

I've emailed DVLA for more information so should hear back from them within a week or so.

Reply to
PDannyD

UK contact number on

?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

the heritage centre at gaydon will do you a certificate proving your build date from the chassis number. i gather you can then use this to prove to the DVLA that you are allowed to be historic.

however, If your V5 already says 'year of manufacture/first use :1971'. it is very easy to get your class changed to historic - visit your nearest dvla office along with your v5 document (and insurance and MOT i think) and they will change it for you there and then and give you a tax disk!

when i first got my 2a it was made in 69 and PLG class so i had to visit the dvla office in shrewsbury to get it changed to historic. There used to be a guy who posted on here called dave ratty who had a web page with instructions on but i cant find it now :(

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ta muchly for that. Will wait for DVLA to respond first though. I wonder if the DVLA hold the same database as used by the MOT system, if so I may not even need to get proof of age. I doubt it'll be that straightforward though.

The V5C (new type) just shows the registration date with no mention of date of manufacture.

Reply to
PDannyD

Take care they may have made an error and now give it a first use in 1991 !!

:-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Tis a dead link.

Found a few of Daves posts though here....

Next time I see him I'll ask if he can forward the detail and I'll host it.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I wouldn't hold my breath then according to the website you need to fill in the change on your V5C ( or V5) in section 7 which you should take to your local DVLA office Derek

Reply to
Derek

There's a list of chassis number ranges in the Haynes manual IIRC....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Below is copied-n-pasted from the DVLA reply, received today.

The gist is that I need documented proof of age then take it along with my V5/V5C, MOT and insurance as well as a completed V10 to the nearest licence-issuing Post Office to get it changed.

=======================================

The taxation class 25 Year Exempt was abolished in the 1998 Budget and replaced with a new class called Historic Vehicle. This new class applies to any vehicle constructed before 1.1.1973.

[note: *constructed* not registered]

If you are able to provide documentary evidence to prove that your vehicle was constructed before 1.1.1973, from either the manufacturer or a recognised owners club, you would be able to apply to license it in the new class at your nearest DVLA Local Office. You will need to submit your V5 registration document/V5C registration certificate* with your insurance certificate, MOT certificate and completed form V10 (available from any licence issuing Post Office® or the DVLA Local Office). They will issue a tax disc free of charge and forward your registration document to DVLA Swansea for amendment. Please allow up to 6 weeks to receive your replacement registration certificate.

*From 1 March 2004, if you do not have a Registration Document/Certificate there will be a charge for replacement Vehicle Registration Certificates. You will need to complete form V62 which is available at any licence issuing Post Office or DVLA Local Office.

A list of DVLA Local Offices is held on our web site

PDannyD

i think you misread that slightly. you need to take the completed stuff to your DVLA local office NOT the post office. you can get the form from the PO. if you show up at the PO they wil just send you onto the DVLA office.

this is the list of DVLA offices:

the proof of age certificate comes from the heritage centre. this is a link to the archives section.

Tom Woods

If you contact Gaydon Museum there's a bloke there (can't find his name, sorry) who will send you a photocopy of the ledger entry for when your vehicle was actually built. This was good enough for my SII, so presumambly will still be ok. I think it was £25.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Just got a reply back from Gaydon, turns out the MOT certificate shows the year the model was released and not the date my vehicle was built. They also confirmed mine was built in August 1974 so definitely not tax-exempt then. Poo!

Reply to
PDannyD

I did indeed misread that. I use computers a lot at work so was getting a bit cross-eyed and some of the lines of text became combined into one.

The links below are certainly useful and bear repeating.

Reply to
PDannyD