Home safe- Unofficial North Wales.

Well another weekend under our our belt.

For those who went Off roading Nige and Andy sorry it was such a let down, I was well miffed.

Apart from the manky weather it was othewise a good do!

Saturday nights Social has to be the highlight of the weekend, though I'm considering that any future weekends may lean more towards "Stuff to do" than Off roading.

Nice to meet New Faces! Alan Hughes made it over in his 101 GS from the Emerald Isle and Will Tasso made probably the longest trek from the outskirts of London.

Kids enjoyed themselves and the dogs are knackered!

Though I'm now leaning more towards a 110 CSW than I am towards the 101 so if anyone has a nice 110 CSW 300 Tdi and a yen for a 101 Camper then give me a shout, 4 plus two dogs in the 101 is not much fun. Failing that Morph may soon be gracing Enay with his presence, it will be a reluctant sale as I know I'll never get another like him but I'm just not using him as intended since we bought the Caravan.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Many thanks for organising the trip Lee, I would like to have got more involved with the 'social' but as we were staying off-site it was always going to be tricky. Shame about the off-road site but their website is very misleading. Nice to meet you and hope to meet up again soon.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Yes, thanks to Lee for the organising and to everyone else for a great craic on the Saturday night. Great to meet new faces and catch up with ones we've seen before. Lee, you missed nothing at the Electric Mountain. Bill and I circled the car park for about 30 minutes without finding a place, and all the roads in Llanberis were double-parked with tourists, so we called it a day and set off home.

Long trip, bum weather, but worth the ride. Here's to the next one.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard Brookman uttered summat worrerz funny about:

We went that way back funny enough, Didn't stop mind... just that "Dorris" (Our sat nav!) sent us that way and I was beyond argument with a PDA :-) Took us longer but saved us sitting in roadworks on the A55? coast road by the tunnels.

The scenary through the Llanberis pass was fantastic, then like wise along through to Bala etc etc... tough I don't think the convoy behind though much of the back end of the caravan 40 - 50 mph tops. Morph pulled well but I need to check the brakes again as they developed a squeel under braking. Once cooled it went away.

Would like to pop back and do the Electric mountain, perhaphs half term weekends are a no no though did look Busy when we went through.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Apols I didn't make the off-roading, ruddy ACE warning light appeared on the trek to N.Wales Frida. Spent the morning at Conwy Land Rover and it transpires that a valve is sticking in the ACE valve block. Just my luck that the valves are not serviceable and the unit costs near £300 plus fitting :(

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Is yoyr truck rather yellow as G4's go as opposed to orange? If it is I think we passed you going the other way.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, mines not a 300 tdi, but......

Reply to
Nige

Lee, it was a top do, cheers for your efforts matey! I would have gone further if the weather would have let us!!

You know you aint going any further if a tank is sunk up to the bottom!!!

Top do & great folk!

Cheers ya'll!!!

Reply to
Nige

Nige uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Yeah were just a bunch of townies I guess ;-)

I'd have forgone my refund if he'd have let us tie him to a tree and let rip with around 500 rounds on the paint ball gun each :-) now that would have been a true Landrover experience!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

One thing, the KTM would have eaten that slope for breakfast!! - One wheel drive................

Reply to
Nige

True enough, the purists among you may not like the D3 but the slope in question was VERY slippery and yet the D3 handled it well and the Traction Control, locking diffs etc did their stuff, plus the MT's helped a lot! Niges 110 got nowhere nor did Lee's 101 although with MT's and locking rear diffs they would have got further.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Trac edges are s**te, I have no idea where they got their reputation from. Probably good amongst AT tyres.

ISTR that the traction control is fitted to current Defenders too, I'd read that a Defender with the system can sometimes get further through mud on road tyres than an older Defender on more beefy tyres. I've also heard that the modern traction control systems can be better than diff locks too. D3 still lacks what you need though, new Defender would be better ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It was a nigthmare slope really, not too steep, but mega camber & proper horrible wet grass & mud you just cant deal with in a road going Land Rover. Unless, of course, it's a new D3. I felt like i was watching top gear! it was horrible weather though, rain, fog & a serious bad course. The blokes running the place didnt have a clue when it came to off rouding - they just said to 'stick to the tank tracks' etc!! How the f*ck can you do that with a Land Rover?

Was good fun though, I'm game for owt & i realised it's my vehicle that lets me down!!! Bring on the D3!!!!

kiddin, i love the 110

Reply to
Nige

A decent diff locker would have sorted it, although the tyres where very hard work. I blame myself though, not enough talent!

i am serious about the tank that was stuck though, how the f*ck can a LR get past a stuck tank in a forest?

Reply to
Nige

Sorry buddy, read my sig, the KTM would not have even farted to get up there!

Reply to
Nige

On or around Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:05:08 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

I gather the OR place wasn't up to the advertising?

pity I couldn't make it.

OK, who's up for a spring one in Herefordshire if I can persuade B-I-L Tim (You reading this, Tim?) to let us play on his farm?

There should be stuff to do... there's Bulmer's Cider museum in Hereford for one thing, and doubtless plenty else.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin, the place had a T34/85 stuck in the mud & he just told us to pass it bye!!!!

hehehehe - clueless!

But, if they did something with it......

Reply to
Nige

Seriously, sounds more like the tyres, sometimes putting the brakes on a bit can help but grassy slopes aren't exactly extreme off-roading, getting up one is entirely down to traction versus weight, diff locks or traction control, a light machine and grippy tyres do it, pretty much nothing else about the vehicle matters.

Enormous can opener?

I get the feeling that the off-roading site was closed due to being waterlogged, or was it just blocked by the tank?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yeah but no-one cares about bikes ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'd like to, one of these days I'll be healthy again, going through some bad patches at the moment, both personally and machine-wise, once all is set up I'll try to make it on four wheels or six.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings