Horse Power Units

Was trying to compare the Power of the TD5 to the TDV6 Discovery but the only units I can find differ and wonder how to convert them for a direct comparrison.

ie TD5 Auto 101kW (137.5PS) against TDV6 189bhp.

How do I compare like with like.

Cheers.

Griff

Reply to
Barney

PS is metric horse power 735.5 watts old UK horsepower is 745.7 watts.

German horses are 1.4% smaller than ours but last longer while the French use a knock-kneed old nag and still claim to get 1000 watts all day on less hay than either of us.

I'd convert it all to watts by multiplying by the numbers.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

Take your pick on:

189 horsepower (international) approx 141kW.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

According to my tables, 1 hp =0.7456 kW, so the TDV6 is 189 * 0.7456 =

141 kW

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

iirc 1 BHP = 746 W or threabouts

Reply to
GbH

I've heard that there's some differences in how the power is measured, so a few hp here or there probably don't matter. They're close enough that the shape of the torque curve will matter more.

Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:07:58 +0100, "Barney" enlightened us thusly:

PS are german horses. Stands for Pferde-Scheiße or some such...

they're almost the same - 's hardly worth quibbling over. PS and CV (Chevaux Vapeur - Vapid Horses) are both a fraction smaller than proper English Shire horses.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| PS are german horses. Stands for Pferde-Scheiße or some such...

:-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:34:52 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

I was wondering who would notice :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

LOL - vg!!