How do I turn my '96 Discovery's Passenger Side Airbag off?

I've looked around the newsgroup and can't find any mention of how to do this..

Can it be done? Our first is due in January and I need to be able to do it so I can put junior in the front.

Thanks in anticipation... Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

You can't!

Doing so muddles the ECU and makes everything shut down AFAIK.

In any case, your first is safer in the rear, apparently.

Reply to
Llandrovers

I don't know the answer to this. However, some manufacturers (notably sodding Mercedes) have taken to doing away with the disable function and building a proprietary transponder into their own brand car seats. Thus, if you buy a Merc you have to buy their car seat too (or get stroppy until they give you a free one).

Then again, we sold it on ebay, because baby in the front was just too damned distracting. YMMV, but neither Mandy or I could safely drive with Charlotte alongside - you just end up looking at the baby the whole time.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Llandrovers wrote: || You can't! || Doing so muddles the ECU and makes everything shut down AFAIK.

Not to mention the insurance issues if you had someone hurt in an accident and had to confess that you had actually deliberately disabled one of the car's passive safety systems.

|| In any case, your first is safer in the rear, apparently.

Agreed.

I'm no great fan of airbags, but if they are fitted it makes sense to leave them alone. Anything with explosives in makes me nervous.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On a related matter, I heard second hand that a survey of children found that many young kids were very uncomfortable about being driven by their dads.

The reason - fathers apparently tended to turn round and interact with their kids a lot more, instead of looking at the road. Mothers, evidently, were a lot better at not doing this. The kids noticed the difference.

Given that a good friend of mine had his vertebrae cracked in an accident where a father was looking behind him at his kids, and ploughed into the back of my friend's stationary vehicle at 50mph without braking, I can quite believe this may be true.

So dads, don't forget, eyes on the road and ignore the kids...

David French

Never found this too difficult...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

First time parents! As it happens I didn't have much choice in the Volvo estate that I had before we bought a Land Rover as the seatbelt wasn't long enough in the back to fit a carseat in. Could only fit it in the front. Our Disco doesn't have airbags so haven't had this problem - again though short seat belts could be an issue in the back again. Had to have a new and longer seat belt fitted in the back for when we all went out and I was occupying the seat.

Reply to
Nikki

Was this easy? We bought an M&P seat this weekend - the one we wanted wouldn't fit the A-Class, but they had another that did (just). There isn't a prayer of getting either to fit in the Discovery - stupid short belts.

If you can ferret out a supplier and part number I would be forever in your debt!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Short belts in back of Touareg too. Their excuse is you need to buy a VW baby seat with ISOfix fittings. Great. Still got our M&P one as baby is due anyday, and it WONT fit. VW one on order........3 to 4 weeks...... Wonder if it would like to travel in back of my Defender ;-)

Dave

Reply to
Foxhunter

All,

Thanks for all your responses - looks like junior is going in the back. My previous vehicle, a Alfa 156 (No it never broke down but Yes I did lose a shed load of money on it), had a switch/key to turn off the passenger side, which prompted my question.

cheers, Gavin

Reply to
Gavin

Will do.

Reply to
Nikki

This looks dangerously like giving the motorist some choice. I can't believe they have allowed this to go on for so long. Wait for the EU regulation that bans this kind of selfish behaviour. I trust you didn't actually touch this switch? You could have died...

;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

No, Alfa Romeo have thought of this. In my 156 most of the switches did nothing at all (especially the ones marked air-con, electric mirrors, stereo).

One day it sensed me attempting to go above 60mph and for my own safety the engine seized.

Most of the time the rear brake lights were augmented by a piercing screaming noise from one or more brake discs. Very useful in fog.

I can say it was the safest car I ever owned, and once during the colder months it spent over 4 weeks at a main dealer, presumably in case I tried to drive it while the roads were icy.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

|| I ||| trust you didn't actually touch this switch? You could have died... ||| ||| ;-) || || No, Alfa Romeo have thought of this. In my 156 most of the switches || did nothing at all (especially the ones marked air-con, electric || mirrors, stereo). || || One day it sensed me attempting to go above 60mph and for my own || safety the engine seized. || || Most of the time the rear brake lights were augmented by a piercing || screaming noise from one or more brake discs. Very useful in fog. || || I can say it was the safest car I ever owned, and once during the || colder months it spent over 4 weeks at a main dealer, presumably in || case I tried to drive it while the roads were icy. || ||

LOL.

Reply to
Richard Brookman