How do you clean yours?

Hi,

Just wondering how you all clean the underside of your Landy's.

I have a 90 and its frequently upto the top of the rear cross member in mud.

The pressure washer is a god send for the outside, wheels & wheel arches etc but how do you all clean the bits that are more difficult to get to. i.e. in between the chassis rails (propshaft area, not actually inside the chassis), also around the underside of the engine / gearbox area?

I'm thinking the only real way is to get wet by getting it on ramps and getting under there with the said pressure washer.

At the moment, everytime i park it (especially when it rains) for about a week afterwards there are clumps of mud on the road that have fallen off.

I know this is a bit of a silly question but what is the norm? Spend an hour or so washing every last bit of mud off or let the following rain and gravity do its job?!?

Reply to
Jon K

Hi I coat my chassis with old engine oil once or twice a year, this helps most of the mud/etc sticking...........you can get a special treatment, advertised in the Landrover mags to stop mud sticking but I think it is quite expensive.

Reply to
Rickon Nye

Would a DIY waxoil treatment be of any real value? Peter

Reply to
Peter

Garden sprinkler (if you're not on a water meter) and move it around to loosen the bulk of it and then a lance with a 90 degree bend in it.

Ed

To reply, remove my appendix

Reply to
Ed

This may not be the best choice of treatment. Old engine oil is quite corrosive - the more miles it did the more corrosive it is - and contains carcenogenics so you should wear protective clothing when applying it.

Just looking out for your health Rick :-)

Regards Steve G

remove the nospam to email me

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Tue, 12 Aug 2003 09:14:20 +0100, "Rickon Nye" enlightened us thusly:

I have an automatic system for doing that... :-/

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 08:13:18 +0100, Jon K spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

I normally jet wash it if it's really muddy, but most of the time I let nature take care of it (rain and gravity)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

As I live in a suburban area with a small driveway, I usually let the mud dry, then knock it off, sweep it up and then get what's left off with a garden hose. It works! Only problem is the mud has to stay on for a day or two to dry, and that in itself is ever so slightly damaging, but my Land Rover is 18 years old and its chassis is on the way out anyway!

Cheers, RB

Reply to
Prof Rollerball

Why on earth would you clean it??? We live in inner Sydney and when our Disco is dirty we drive it with pride - that way people won't think it's just used to do the school run (which it is for most of the year).

Reply to
Viviane

Park it on the grass and stick a lawn sprinkler underneath for a couple of hours (says he where we are likely to be on water restrictions very soon) then let gravity and a hose do the rest.

Somewhere around Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:51:23 +1000, "Viviane" coughed up this:

Reply to
JoE

Ours gets a yearly clean when we clean the caravan. It's presently very shiny, all lights working, oil changed, coolant checked, screen wash in reservoir and hitched up to caravan. Off to Borth with the kids to loose them in some sand dunes.

Reply to
Nikki

I dont clean it to keep it clean, more to keep it alive!

Mud stays wet/damp for a LONG time here in the UK and has a habit of rotting steel if left to fester in dark unseen crevises.

I do agree though that they look MUCH cooler if they are caked in mud (on the outside of the body where it wont rust)!.

Reply to
Jon K

On or around Fri, 15 Aug 2003 05:15:36 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

If go through Lampeter way, yer welcome to drop in for a coffee.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| || || If go through Lampeter way, yer welcome to drop in for a coffee. ||

Likewise Haverfordwest and environs...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I shall remember that and let you know.

Reply to
Nikki

Due to a double booked campsite we shall be in Borth from Sunday for a week or two. I'm sure you don't want four kids disturbing the peace and quiet. Isaac can cause a major disaster without even trying!

Reply to
Nikki

On or around Sat, 16 Aug 2003 11:51:52 +0100, Nikki enlightened us thusly:

Pre-wash, soap, rinse?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Some gunk they clean lorries with.