How many seats does a classic make ?

Here's the scenario

I have a 79 III series 5 doors/12 seats, while its not in the plan i got an insurance quote over the internet from firebond, with a view to insuring and taxing it in its own right.

I didnt think the quote was too bad all things considered £230 TPF&T (I do realise people on here do get much better deals, but i was only looking for a ball park figure)

Anyhow Firebond rang me the day after, suggesting that they could get the price down by quite a bit, they said they could drop the quote quite substantially if i could park it in a drive (unfortunately not going to happen). However they said let us check the details and all was fine until we came to seating "Oh its got 12 seats...in that case we can't insure it as a classic"

So basically does anyone know how many seats it has to have to be considered a classic, or does anyone know of 12 seat friendly insurers ?

Or should i reclassify the rear bench seats as short beds ?

johnty

Reply to
johnty

Convert it into an ambulance and get into 'Red Ken's' congestion area for free !!!!!!

AlunP

Reply to
Alun P

Twas Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:06:41 +0100 when "johnty" put finger to keyboard producing:

I'd guess that 12 seats makes it commercial, fit a cubby box and it's got 11 seats. just a thought.

My insurance broker insists I must have modified mine as there is no such thing as a land rover county station wagon (or station wagon for that matter) in 1984. typical blindness, when I pointed to it outside, 'yet there is, look' eeeeejit.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Mine had 12 seats, that was the way they were built, either 10 or 12 and it is insured as a Classic via Footman James, they never asked about the seats, all they wanted was photographs to go with it.

The age guaranteed it as a classic, I don't think they are interested in the interior after all Land Rovers came in so many varieties with so many specials what I am doing with mine is not exceptional.

I paid £126 on renewal this year, unlimited mileage, park anywhere.

Reply to
Larry

No idea about the number of seats but....

Be careful insuring under a classic policy if you have or want to have any no claims bonus. If you already have NCB and transfer your policy to a classic policy you lose your NCB. You also don't earn any NCB while insured as a classic.

I learnt this the hard way after transferring a policy with 4 years NCB onto a classic policy and then transferring it 2 years later onto a vehicle that couldn't be insured under a classic policy. I found that I was no longer eligible for any NCB on the new policy. In effect I lost 6 years NCB to save 100 quid over two years.

Classic policies should only be entertained where you have no NCB available and/or you intend to keep the vehicle forever.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Reply to
Orack2000

On or around Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:09:00 GMT, Orack2000 enlightened us thusly:

motor car with more than 8 passengers is a minibus, in the legal wossname, unless perhaps it comes under "dual purpose vehicle" by being 4x4.

for private use, it shouldn't make much difference, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Although my limo was originally insured as a classic I later changed that as I needed business use, and I have inherited the no claims from the limo onto my Land Rover classic policy.

Reply to
Larry