How much should I offer for a "weathered" series I

Hi All. Long time since I've ventured into A.F.L. but, While wondering the fields with the dogs I have stumbled across a fairly (very) tatty Series I (I presume) It's got all wheels, doors open etc I haven't looked under the bonnet as it's not mine.

It's pre-reg i.e. 3 numbers + 3 letters (or the other way round) in a "truck cab" if that's what it's called with the frame but no canvas cover over the back.

Looks fairly intact with a slightly mis-shapen (dented) wings. Seats are exposed foam and bird s*1t piled high on the roof, but it is under cover no sign of rain.

Assuming the farmer can be found and he is willing to sell it, what would be a fair offer and what hidden nasties should I look out for WRT "bits you can't get" etc etc.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

I see 4 or 5 in a similar state while greenlaning in Essex. There would be hell to pay if I arrived back home towing one behind my current series. In an ideal world I like to rescue all the poor little things. Offering to take it off the farmers hands with no mention of money is where I'd start. Failing that, say you have a crisp £50 note in your pocket, failing that report him to DVLA for not having a SORN cirtificate and your county council for littering the countryside with rusting metal.

No MOT, no tax, unimaginal chassis rust and useless engine make it practically worthless to the current owner.

Reply to
DavidM

Cruel Cruel man.

Hmmm. a crispy crunchie in my pocket might do the trick then. I'll have to try and track the feller down and put out some feelers.

Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

until someone shows an interest in it then it becomes a priceless collectors item and the owner wants hundreds for it

I knew a bloke with a Brooklands Capri stored under a tarpaulin every time I went past the pile of rust underneath got bigger and bigger I asked him several times if he wanted to sell it he said he would for the right money as "they're priceless collectors items now" to me it was worth a couple of hundred at most but that wasn't enough so he just let it rot until the scrap man had to come and remove it

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Like my old Lambretta scooters in the late 70's. When I had to get rid of them it was not easy to get any one to offer much for them. Indeed had recovered more than one abandoned scooter and registered it before.

Now it seems they are quite a commodity

Reply to
Larry

In answer to your other question, almost all S1 parts, except for special bits for very early ones, are still readily available or can be substituted with bits from S2/3. JD

Reply to
JD

Many thanks JD Cheers Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

I believe that there is still no legal obligation for you to SORN a vehicle that has been off the road since before they started with the stupid sorn business - which a series 1 is quite likely to be!

They give out all these warnings saying things like 'you might not be able to re-register it', or 'you might loose its registration number', but i think i'd rather risk that than go though the hassle of keeping up with another SORN!

I'm sitting on a car in that situation, and i reckon that when it comes to time to put it back on the road the worst they will do is either make me pay to get it a new logbook, or if they are feeling really awkward make me pay to get a replacement age-related plate for it.

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 23 Aug 2005 17:50:59 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

unfortunately not. re-doing 'em on line is one option, but persuading 'em that it' snot necessary to keep re-doing it would be preferred. I think I'll get on to the MP about it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In the eyes of the DVLA, yes. The SORN expires and then if you havent renewed it within 2 weeks you get a nice £40 or £80 fine.

They have also reworded the SORN letter you get now so that it doesnt actually have a nice clear end-date on it. They just say (hidden inside a normal paragraph of bumph) 'this notification applies from xx/xx/xx. This notification lasts for 12 months..'

Reply to
Tom Woods

We got a renewal warning last year for our SORNs has that changed too ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:14:06 +0100, steve Taylor enlightened us thusly:

The conformation of SORN says they will, but there's "no statutory obligation" for them to remind you at all. so if they don't, or it gets lost, tough.

but it's the duty I shall be refusing to pay. You could well argue that I should keep track of it and re-SORN meself, but the duty is only payable if the vehicle's on the road, and it hasn't been, for well over a year.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Tom Woods blithered:

Oh, Bugger, it was a pain to get them SORNed the first place!

Reply to
GbH