How tall is a LR Sereies 3?

I got an 1979, Series 3 109 LWB, and was wondering, in case I come across any of hight restrictions, how high it is in feet and in metric? and how wide? long?

Thanks

Reply to
8unker

Try measuring it. Series vehicle can vary in height by up to 6 inches, in extreme cases, depending on tyre and spring fitments.

Officially:

Heights: 88" soft top - 1.97m/77.5" 88" hard top - 1.95m/76.9" 88" Station wagon - 1.98m/77.9" 109" hard top/truck cab - 2.06m/81" 109" station wagon - 2.07m/81.4" 109" Hi-Cap Soft Top - 2.03m/80.0" 109" Hi-Cap Hard top - 2.77m/109" (I don't have data for 109" 2.6 or 1ton models, these are higher on suspension, and also can have 9.00x16 tyres fitted, lifts by about 4" above normal) Length: 88" All models - 3.62m/142.6" 109" truck cab/station wgn - 4.44m/175" 109" hi-cap pickup - 4.64m/182.7"

Width: All models (except Hi-cap) - 1.69m/66.6" Hi-Cap - 1.72m/67.7"

Beware height limits in multistorey car parks, I have had an interesting experience in my SIII 109" which was officially under the height restriction by 2" but when going up/down a ramp managed to get it's roof jammed on the concrete beams.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

From owner's handbook, unladen, for S3 109:-

L 175" 4,44m W 66" 1,68m H Station Wagon 81.375" 2,07m Cab or hardtop 81" 2,06m Soft top - hood up 81" 2,03m Hood down screen up 72.5" 1,79m screen down 61" 1,52m

And yes, I know the metric/English figures are inconsistent - they are in the handbook, suggesting how accurate they may be. Height will also vary according to tyres fitted, tread wear, springs fitted, sag on springs, load and fixed equipment and tyre pressure. Some tyres/ wheels may increase width, and tow bar and rear mounted spare may increase length. Use these figures as a start, but I suggest measuring yours. Depending on springs, tyres etc, the highest point may be either at the rear or the front hood bow on a full length soft top or 3/4 soft top, and either the rear or the change in slope on a full length hard top or station wagon. but should be the top of the cab on a cab type. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around 12 Nov 2004 15:59:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@popstarz.org.uk (8unker) enlightened us thusly:

A mate of mine took his S3 into a multi-storey car park. It went under the height restriction bar on the entrance with about 2" to spare, so in he went, drove along 'til he got to a fluorescent light fitting and destroyed it. The car park people were quite annoyed, but in the end had to accept that the height restriction bar was wrong, and had been fitted before the lights were installed.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

There is one here, where there is a height restriction (which i know mine was an inch or 2 under as i measured it), and you can get in, but as soon as you get to the first concrete support beam you can't go any further. Its amazing how hard it is to reverse out of a car park enrance when there is a queue of people behind you (most of whom seemed unwilling to move but happy to beep at me). Must have taken a good 5 minutes or so.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Luton Arndale multi-storey is quite interesting, as there are three car parks, all connected on the top level, you can go in one, all the way up to the top and cross over to the other two. However, two of the car parks are plated at (IIRC) 2.2m, while the other one is plated at

2.0m Thus my SWB will go in all of them, while my LWB will not fit into the lower one of the three.

This plan would work flawlessley if it were not for the fact that they are all connected! It also makes the car park guys nervous when I take the SWB into the lower one, as the roof just brushes the height bar. Enough to make a lound clang as you go under it, but the SWB doesn't catch anything once it's inside.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

A lightweight is nominally 60 inches, but it needs the flat axle-ends and the wing mirrors also stick out. Thinking about that, I doubt those figures include wing mirrors.

Reply to
David G. Bell

So Austin Shackles was, like

I once parked in a multi-storey in Chartres (city, France, big church) in a VW camper I used to have. Got in fine, cleared the height restriction bar OK, did the tourist bit round the city. Came to leave at 5pm and we got wedged under a concrete roof support on the very steep exit ramp. Made it out with the attendant hanging off the back bumper to compress the rear suspension. All done with camp-site French ("deux bieres, chop-chop"), which I was quite proud of. As the pop-top roof was GRP, there was no lasting damage except smashing off the roof vents. The height bar must have been well over 2 metres, but there was a NOTICE containing the words "hauteur", "vehicules", and "1.8 metres". If I'd only stopped to think that

1.8m is shorter than I am, and the V-Dub was taller than me, I might not have made the mistake. Yer live an' learn.
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Whilst queuing to get into a mult-storey in Cardiff a couple of years back, a family hit the height bar in a Discovery. They got out, scratched their heads for a moment and then hit upon a great idea. The two eldest sons stood on tiptoes, pushed the bar upwards a few inches whilst Dad drove in...

I doubt if the strategy would have worked so well with a concrete roof pillar, but they seemed to get away with it.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

About the same as my 110, so 2M barriers are 2b avoided, and if the shift leader tells me to park in one of the barriered car parks one more time, I'll park my 110 on the top of his Fiesta.. So there ;)

Reply to
Me

Yeah...... I swapped the 600x16's for 750's on my first SWB and promptly got caught in a carpark I'd been using for the previous couple of months.

Reply to
EMB

Since fitting the 10.5 x 20 Unimog rims/tyres on my 101, it won't go into most paint shops / garages as it's now taller than their 9' high doors :-(

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons