Hub seals

Hi All, In the last 2 days, my 110 started pulling under braking. The front offside brake disk is coated in what looks like EP90. The outside of the disk is clean, just the inside is contaminated. Theres a nice glob of oil hanging from the bottom of the caliper.

So my question is which seal has gone?

The swivels have been dribbling for the last while but I don't see how oil from a leaking swivel could get to the disks as the swivel is a good inch inboard of the disk.

So, does this mean its one of the seals the hub/sub axle? Not having done this before, I reckon I can strip the hub but have my doubts about doing the swivel.

Anything else I should look out for? oh, and I Know this is a FAQ but what size is the hub nut again?

cheers, Gromit

Reply to
Gromit

Most likely the inner hub seal.

2"1/16! Hub spanners are availble from parts dealers (5.39 here)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

same thing happened on my RR, and its the inboard hubseal you need to sort....sometimes this is a symptom of a blocked axle breather so you should check that before changing seal...save you changing it again..get a proper hubnut box spanner, most parts suppliers have them at a few quid...you will need to get new hub lock washer too...have fun;~)

Reply to
steve

On or around Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:49:57 +0000, steve enlightened us thusly:

couple of points: Hub nut spanner is a good thing. It is possible to use other methods in an emergency but they're not as good. Toolmaker's clamp works well and doesn't damage the nuts, BTW. If you don;t know what a toolmaker's clamp is you haven't got one :-)

Lock washer: depends how often it's been used. The lockwasher gets bent in

2 places, one to lock the inner nut and one to lock the outer one. You should never re-bend it in the same place, as it can crack and bits fall off. However, there's no reason I can see not to bend a different bit, which has not been bent before. This is especially useful if pulling the hub off for a looksee - at which point, you've not necessarily ordered anything.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes indeed - when you've pulled the thing apart, if you have a nice wear-ring on the stub axle, consider changing that otherwise the new seal won't be doing its job anyway.

IIRC (some?) have a seal inside the stub axle itself - this is nicely hidden behind a bush - I certainly wasnt able to change that myself so took it to a dealer to ahve the bush removed and a new seal inserted. It's supposed to stop oil coming down the half shaft from the diff.

Check your axle breather - a common cause of this problem

Pads will need renewing as well of course.

Not a massive job - have fun.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Buckley