Hubseal change on rear axle

I have just replaced the wheel bearings on rear axle of my Disco, got a horrible feeling I have driven the hub seal too far in, I have read a couple of differing reports i.e/. should be flush with hub, driven below 4mm. I knocked it all the way in, i guess with hindsight this means its sitting on the inner bearing race and then after tighening up the wheel bearings, this will push the outer face of the inner race into the seal - bugger am i worrying too much or is my saturday mornign activity set in stone.........

any answers to allay my fears or confirm my saturday activity would be appreciated.

Eye still stinging

TL

Reply to
Tony

I guess that'll be the additives making it sting. Give NHS Direct a ring and see if they think a trip in is indicated - you can't be too careful with eyes.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

If I remember correctly there are 2 types of seal, one that fits flush, and one that is driven in by a specified distance (better option). On the ones that I have seen that need to be driven in they have the distance marked on them.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff