Hummer vs Schoolbus

Austin Hi,

H1s are pretty sturdy. But their tyres let them down at least those that were used back in 1996 when I had one in Beirut.

I may be repeating myself but managed to have three flat tyres on the same spot. At this was a plain field with some thorny bushes. But ordinary Toyota Corollas with ordinary tyres were able to pass through those bushes without any problem.

The H1 was useless about 20 Km away from there. It didn't not have a spare tyre as it was fitted with the automatic inflation system which is supposed to be able to accomodate three tyres losing air. And those tyres were supposed to be able to ran flat for about 50 kms at a maximum of 50Km/h speed. Did not manage to do so at all. And the H1 had to be moved on a flatbed.

I gave the H1 back and drove a Cherokee for the remaining of my visit there.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Ian Hi,

early and military versions had THREE (2) TorSen diffs and they do work exceptionaly well when you manage to learn the brake pedal trick.

This trick also works like a charm with you fit QUAIFE diffs on a Landy (which is something that I have done on a D90 which was raced here in Greece but with QUAIFE at the front and rear axle only (center diff was a standard LT230) And the brake pedal trick (apply a bit of brake when one of the wheels loses traction) worked very nicely and was extremely easy.

Especially when combined with an autobox it is simply unstoppable.

----------

But H1 are VERY HEAVY and cumbersome. What they gain on attack and retreat angles though they lose from their ramp angle which minimal compared to the other two. Ground clearance is impressive but the long wheelbase does not assist.

And for such a HUGE vehicle passenger and load space is VERY LIMITED (back you get a nice flat area between the passengers to mount your machine gun or missile launcher)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Same thing applies with the military Hummers the Greek Army has bought in order to patrol the Greek Albanian borders (fitted with infrared cameras so as to be able to see illegal immigrants from those borders entering into Greece)

We now have lots of Hummers sitting in the army barracks or available for parades but not small enough to travel through the forest roads.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I always reckoned that Giles and Spike should have had Land Rovers.

Reply to
David G. Bell