Hybrid

Hi Folks.

I'm putting a 3.9, complete with ZF 4sp auto, and borg-warner into a 90.

I'm pretty sure a few of you will have done this before, what are the pitfalls I need to look for, and what bits do I need to modify to make it fit.

I already have the engine mounts chopped off, and a new pair ready to be welded on wherever appropriate, and from looking at the chassis the gearbox mounts should bolt straight in.

Any Tips?

thanks.

Reply to
SimonJ

SimonJ

Hello, SimonJ!

There are more than a few hybrid owners on

and I beleive there are a few engine conversion threads going on at the moment too! It's free to join.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Use an original drivers side gearbox mount from a diesel defender. This is the one that mounts to the chassis using 3 bolts. The bracket that needs mounting to the side of the transfer box can then be left alone.

On the passenger side use v8 gearbox mount that bolts to the chassis. and the mount from the autobox. this will need some modification . It needs the hole for the rubber mount extending forward 2 inches.

When these are done lower the engine and box setup into position and it the shows where you need to fit the engine mounts.

This makes the engine fit nicely all round and you can even use your gearbox gaiter if you spin it 180 degrees it fits over the high/ low stick. and gives you a cup holder to boot.

This setup also allows you to use diesel propshafts which are cheaper to buy if they are ever damaged.

If you need a hand give me a call on 01623 452885

Other pitfalls....

The bottom rad hose needs to be a work of art to get it over the power steering box. And it is a pain in the arse getting the gearbox inhibitor to work so that you can't start it in gear

Tonks4x4

27-29 Main Street Huthwaite Sutton-In-Ashfield Nottinghamshire NG17 2LD 01623 452885

Brian Tonks