Hypothetical 101

On or around Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:05:40 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

won't do you any good. I seen the film. Tremors, I think it were called. Bloke in that with a cellar-full of enough armament to start a minor war...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

hmm. I dread to think how much it would come too with all the fuel costs in aswell.

I dont really have so much of a problem with my 101 spending yet! But i find with the 101 that its easy to justify the spending as you get so much for the money :) I think i'm still in awe of the 101, so the money doesnt matter so much as i can still sit in it and smile (often while revving the engine)

I did manage that for a few years but then gave up about the time i got my first landrover! :)

I have a folder full of reciepts, and new stuff gets dropped in. I dont like to look at it too closely though!

Reply to
Tom Woods

I agree. Alex being an ex-101 owner has put himself on shaky ground with his argument. anybody else here without a 101 could try it though :)

I didnt know you had 3 of 'em! Did i miss the point when you collected a radio body to complete the set!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 07 Nov 2004 09:41:36 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

he ain't completed the set, he hasn't got a vampire. :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother"

Reply to
GbH

There's still the one that failed to reach its reserve recently

AJH

Reply to
sylva

He'll need three of them - IIRC they operated in groups of 3 for signals intercept.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:14:26 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

are the 3 left?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not necessarily as they had a mile of cable on board on a reel giving them the option to mount an antenna quite some distance away (like a mile :0) ). By relocating twice then they have four directions to triangulate from just one vehicle. So by working in pairs they can very quickly and acurately triangulate a source without the need to move freeing up the third vehicle for the run down to the local chippy.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well, I've never had one, so I'd better take it I guess...

Reply to
David French

I did once count the total cost of my old 200Tdi Disco. It was something like this:

Disco 2750 Gearbox & steering 1100 Miscellaneous toys from Scorpion 800 (rocksliders, protection etc) Snorkel 200 Various repair bills (mainly replacement wheel bearings) 1000 Roof rack 100 Suspension 300 Tyres 150

I make that about six and a half grand, give or take. I sold it for about 3600 :) I had it about 18 months and did about 25,000 miles in it.

But what price the fun?

PS: All this is UK Pounds, but I don't have a Pound key on my Dvorak keyboard, and can't be bothered to fire up Character Palette :)

Reply to
David French

Thinking about this, a friend of mine bought a 3 door 200tdi Disco (for too much money IMHO) and spent a fortune on it. After a year, she consoled herself that she'd spent (very) slightly less on maintenance than if she'd have spent if she'd leased a brand new TD5 for a year! Some consolation!

Reply to
David French

He sounds an idiot to me. Everyone knows you shouldn't keep guns and stuff in the cellar. They go rusty. Keeping them under the bed is best :-)

Reply to
Mother

So that's the problem with nuclear missiles then?

They keep them in a deep cellar and they go rusty!

Somebody tell Dubya - soon there'll be a Minuteman under everybodys beds.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Yes, Tremors. You mean Burt Gummer. I've got all four films on DVD - the fourth is my favourite, closely followed by the first two (I really can't decide which of them I prefer), and the third last. But they're all brilliant. I love those films.

Reply to
Torak

On or around Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:36:43 GMT, Torak enlightened us thusly:

There're *four*? I've only seen 1 and 2.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So far, mine's been £5500 for the Landy itself, £350 for a military trailer, and about £60 for an AA inspection. My parents are paying for the first year or two of insurance and tax.

But now comes the interesting bit: a few modifications.

My plans are to build a centre console (OK, get the smithy to build it) to mount a stereo, comm radio, PA and - of course - mug holders. And a charger for my mobile. So I'm guessing that'll be another £500 or so.

Reply to
Torak

Yup.

Tremors was set in Perfection, with the first appearance of the Graboids. Tremors 2 was set in Mexico, I think, and they had been called in to hunt down the Graboids. Tremors 3 added yet another stage in the Graboid life cycle, and was set back in Perfection. Tremors 4 was set a hundred years earlier, in the small town of Rejection, with one *Hiram* Gummer - a businessman who wouldn't say boo to a fly....

Reply to
Torak

On or around Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:24:42 GMT, Torak enlightened us thusly:

cooo. something to hunt in the video shop. They never put 'em on telly, the buggers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You're too late, a chappie called Blair has already become dictator.

Alex

Reply to
Alex