I'm in the sh*t, injector pump....

OK, I changed my fuel filter today, I was then bleeding the injector pump as some air got into it. When I tightened the bleed screw the bit it screws into sheared off. suffice to say that if I try and run the engine it will probptly piss diesel out of the hole that was left when I sheered off the bleed screw housing.

WTF do I do now?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Whip it off and take it to a local friendly backstreet engineer.

As an emergency get you out of trouble measure , stick a self tapper in it with a smidge of araldite if it needs to go somewhere. Pack the AA/RAC card just in case.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I know this will probably make you feel even worse, but your DPS injector pump is self bleeding. As long as you bled most of the air out of the top of the filter housing after you changed the filter, the pump would self bleed and the engine would have started just by cranking it.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Take it off and take it somewhere to get it fixed!

Cost me about £80 to get mine fixed and reconditioned a couple of years ago. Made a fair difference too.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've spoken to a diesel guy who advised a self-tapper and some "petro patch" to hold it in place, I've done that and it's curing overnight.

I have a 700 mile round-trip up to yorkshire leaving on thursday morning so I'll take it out and hammer it a bit tomorrow and if it holds I'll head north on thursday RAC card to-hand.

When I get back I'll take it to the diesel-guy and see what we can come up with as a more proper fix.

Dammit this is crap timing..

If the repair doesn't hold tomorrow I'll have to do a quick-fix of the wifes saab's brakes and get it MOT'd, all in a day... and we'll take her car.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Sounds like a good excuse to get another spare car for one the other ones broke. :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thats how i started!. And now i have 8!. All saabs and landrovers, so watch out Mark!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:26:51 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

either that or hunt another one, SH.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Would I be messing with the timing belt by taking it off?

I'll probably use it as little as possible now until I can save up some cash ans I'll take it to the diesel-guy and have him recon the pump and injectors and replace the water pump and timing belt.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The injector pump drives a big cog/wheel that the timing belt runs on. When you remove the pump, the cog should stay there. The stub on the pump will have a key in it so that it only fits in the right position on the cog. You can take the pump off while leaving everything else together. I managed it. I wouldnt go spinning the engine when it isnt on though!

It would make sense to do it all together. Make sure you get new washers with your injectors (they go right at the end and youre supposed to replace them every time you take the injectors out). I always forget about them and end up going back to pick them up! (They only cost pence so get a spare set while you are there incase you ever have to take the injectors out again)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom, you said £80 for a recon injector pump. I might need one (cut off solenoid keeps swarfing up) .. have a quote for ERR4419 or ERR4046 £681.44 inc VAT (for '94 300TDI disco) .

CAN YOU REMEMBER WHERE YOU GOT IT?

Reply to
John

That was ~£80 to recondition and fix my existing pump when i took it off myself and took it into the place that did it. A replacement one would be hundreds like you quote (cheaper to buy a second hand engine in my case!).

Mine is a 2.5 n/a diesel, so is probably slightly cheaper and simpler than yours, but it shouldnt be that much worse for yours.

Have a look on

for your nearest 'diesel engineer'.

If your'e near stoke on trent I can recommend G.W Dale Ltd in burslem ( 01782 837665). They would do the whole job for you if you didnt want to take it off yourself, but i imagine it would cost more.

Reply to
Tom Woods