I'm thinking about a range rover, your thoughts please folks.

As the family transport is less 2 regular passengers and there may be some cash becoming available we are considering switching to a range rover.

I like the look of the P38, and I'm insisting on a diesel engine.

I want it to look smart on the road but also be happy as a hippo in the mud.

Questions....

Am I nuts?

Do the diesel range rovers have electronics problems?

Are P38's all air suspension? (not sure I like that idea).

Is there sufficient space in the boot of a P38 for a pair of big dogs?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

PS, is it still something I can do 99% of the work on myself?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

You're nuts, but your dogs will love you forever.

My dogs keep bringing me Discovery brochures and scowling at the Volvo...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Mark Hi,

you can buy a cheap diesel P38A with damaged air suspension (they all came from the factory with air suspension regardless of model or type of engine fitted) and swap the air suspension system with the coil sprung setup readily available and easily installed on those vehicles for owners who do not have the patience to take up with the air suspension problems.

If you need any additional information on the coils modification for the P38A please let me know and I will have a look in my archives. Almost all LR magazines have an advertisement of one of the main independent suppliers of LR parts selling it.

You will be able to recuparate a big part of the cost of the kit just by selling the parts of the air suspension that still work OK.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

One of the reason I didn't buy a P38 is because of our 3 medium sized dogs (Bearded Collies)

With fold down rear door it's quite high for older dogs to jump in to. Also boot is not very large, but if rear seats are folded forward they obstruct rear side doors, making it difficult for example, just to open rear door and chuck in a bit of shopping. Also difficult/impossible for dogs to enter that way too. At the time I went for a Jeep grand Cherokee instead, 4 litre straight 6 petrol. May colleague at the time went for DSE RR. It's performance was absolute crap compared to the Jeep and although they were similar basic price to equip the RR to the same level as the Jeep would have cost about another 10K .

When I retired and the Jeep went back I bought a 50th Anniversary Defender 90 and converted it to LPG. Rubber matting on the floor, dogs can leap in and out OK plenty of room and who cares if it gets mucky - it's still only a Land Rover.

Reply to
hugh

That sounds inviting. I recall seeing some 'P38a coil spring kits' in a magazine or two.

I'm currently undecided about which way to go, a range rover is but 1 option, and a cheap way in like this is attractive to me.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

So Mr.Nice. was, like

Very underpowered, according to what I hear. The 4.6 as standard ain't exactly overpowered as it is. And the diesel won't be making 225bhp.

Check both of those.

But of course. Your presence here is evidence of that.

Most of the electronics on the P38 is to do with the "body" functions (gear and t/box, air sus, cruise, windows, lights..you name it) rather than the engine, so they are probably similar to the petrols. In which case, the answer is no, not especially, but if you are unlucky you will be very unlucky (unless you have a degree in electronics engineering and are brave). I was happy to do a lot with the electronics on my RRC, but I have to admit I leave this side of things to the dealer with the P38.

Yes - and known not to last the distance in many cases. (When it's working, it's awesome.) Kits to convert to coils are available, about 300-400 GBP I think, which are a DIY proposition and come with a gizmo to fool the BeCM. May be a bargaining point.

Depends how big :-) Should take a couple of Labs no problem. When I take my Lab in the RR, he has room for a stroll and a good lie-down.

Mechanically, it's just a big Landy, but the electronics are something else - see above. I love mine to bits. There's no other vehicle like it. You can tow a caravan to the South of France and back, and the next day be crawling round a quarry with total competence and amazing comfort. Having said that, when mine goes, I'll be replacing it with something simpler.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

After doing some research I've decided against a range rover, the reliance on electronics is a concern as I'd like to do all the servicing and most repairs myself.

I'll either be looking at a discovery or have some work done to my

1984 110csw (chassis, bulkhead and engine).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:37:19 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

get a late classic with a TDi, and save yer pennies. If you want the extra space, hunt an LSE, (although not sure they came with a TDi)

Better yet, buy a good 'un with a dodgy engine and get one of those 2.8 TDi-based powerstroke engines for it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:47:59 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

I could always build you a transit/LR hybrid... loads of room for dogs...

still thinking about that. I could use one meself, but It'll be a while before I can afford to make it...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

On the other hand with air sus you can lower the body making it easier for your dogs to get in when they may not be as active as they possibly are now.

Reply to
hugh

If it doesn't look like a land rover it won't feel like home ;o)

Just been looking at the LWB Ibex bodies though....

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'm considering a powerstroke 2.8 on an autobox if I keep the 110, but it'll need a chassis and bulkhead to kame it a long-term proposition, this particular landy has sentimental value to me now as it was bought for my by my Father who recently popped his cloggs.

Putting my practical head on for a moment, when I know my budget I'll go and test drive a rr p38, a rr classic and a disco and see if any take my fancy. I like the looks of the P38 but the electronics could be too much of a headache.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:28:53 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

oh, don't worry, I'll put a green oval badge on the front instead of a blue one... or even both...

I've been wondering how I can market a non-existent custom-built vehicle; bit difficult as I don't even have pictures.

Basically, I plan on using 110 chassis and driveline and transit or similar body (whatever happens to be the right size - I suspect the transit probably is close) - the cost can vary depending on how much is new. Cheapest option will be a simple re-body job, probably with a respray, and the most expensive would use a new chassis, engine and driveline and involve going over the body with a fine tooth comb to replace any dodgy panels with new.

I hope to have the body rubber-mounted on the chassis, by some suitable means. Might use standard LR engine/gearbox mounts in sufficient number, as they're easily sourced and replaced.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

My advice there is simply to build one, then you'll have a clear idea of cost and work involved and be able to realistically come up with a price-scale. You'll also have one to take photos of (I'm in wales in late march, do some photos for you if you like).

Not to my taste but it sounds doable.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Is there sufficient space in the boot of a P38 for a pair of big dogs?

Putting my practical head on for a moment, when I know my budget I'll go and test drive a rr p38, a rr classic and a disco and see if any take my fancy. I like the looks of the P38 but the electronics could be too much of a headache.

You can't go passed a 300tdi Disco in my opinion but you might have to leave one of the large dogs at home... or you could fold the rear seats down take both dogs and leave the kids at home !!!

Reply to
Simon Mills

3D modelling/CGI software?

There are often older versions given away on magazine cover CDs, and two free-to-download programs I know of are anim8or and Wings3D.

I've even seen a 3D model of a jeep-like vehicle given away as a demo of the manufacturer's range, using components from several "real" vehicles. Google, I think, on Xdyner.

So you could at least get wheels and a few other components around which you could model the bodywork.

Some software will also import data from CAD programs.

The learning curve could be a bit steep, but there's the potential to do a lot of the visual design that way.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Disco would easily accommodate my labrador cross and collie. For a shortish journey the lab bitch was happy enough in there as well.

(about half way down)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:38:59 +0000, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

small problem there, I need to make the first one for someone else so that I get paid for it. If I could afford to make one, I would.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That's fair enough. but it won't be me sadly.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.