I Understand how V6's work........

and i understand how a TDI works - But i am slightly confused how a V6 TDI works?

Any help??

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:25:11 +0100, "Mark Solesbury" enlightened us thusly:

with a 6-way injection pump, and either one turbo and complicated exhaust pipes, or 2 small turbos one for each bank.

I would imagine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Why?

It's just a 6 cylinder engine in V formation (i.e. 3 on each side)!!!!

Reply to
TRH

Ah! but what if it's common rail injection? You get one pump & 2 rails and 6 electric injectors. Nice :)

Reply to
Adrian England

On or around Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:43:29 +0100, "Adrian England" enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, the 2 rails are effectively one. Unless they use 2 pumps. Which would provide a useful "limp-home" ability in the event of one failing...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

So limping home isn't normal then ?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:50:55 +0100, "Lee_D"

enlightened us thusly:

probably not in yer newish Audi... very fast, by all accounts. 2.5 V6 TDi, would make a nice engine for a freeloader...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Have you looked at the reliability/cost of repair survey that came out on Tuesday - A Bad Day for the Germans all round - how sad!

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

Not driven one, but assuming it's more powerful than the 130hp unit in our Passat it must be very good indeed. On a recent trip the computer showed an average speed > 80mph, and an average fuel consumption of 51 mpg.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Why bother, just use a Straight Six engine, they're better anyway

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:20:50 +0100, Alex spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

Hmmm Gardiner 6 pot Naturally Aspirated, in my Metrobus....tons of torque:-) but no-go...poxy gearbox...back to normal 1 year old DAF tomorrow.

Wonder if you could fit that in a Landy.......I know straight 6 Jag engine can be fitted to one, but I like my diesel, suppose anything is possible

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

Metrobus? Nice one!

Liked the Metroliner too, in it's day.

Reply to
Llandrovers!

On or around Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:03:56 +0100, Dan Allen enlightened us thusly:

it'd be much too heavy for a Landy. same applies to the Perkins 6354.

V6s are more compact.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I don't believe Perkins make a V6. Or Gardner.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:11:06 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

no I don't think they did. Perkins did make a V8 though... and I think Gardners were all in line, 4, 5, 6, and I think 8.

'course, in the old days, the Rolls 220 was the bees knees..

Reply to
Austin Shackles