I've been robbed !

My God it has just cost me £5-28 per gallon for diesel, what the f**k is happening.

Reply to
cyberwraith

Bliar, Brown and Darling's Britain!

Reply to
Dougal

Don't be bloody stupid.

Reply to
William Black

Emigrate.

Reply to
Allen

Your right it is stupid 4.5 x £1-18 is £5-31 per gallon.

Reply to
cyberwraith

116p/l, last lot I bought was 113p/l (all but .1 of a penny) but that wa= s two weeks ago.

Aye he missed the real cause: Bush.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:28:32 +0100, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

what's stupid about that? They're the ones who decide how much tax to put on the fuel, and said tax altogether is probably about 3/4 of the price by now - if you take into account that the various people along the line pay corporation tax out of the well-under-half that isn't direct taxation.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 20 Apr 2008 15:58:52 GMT, "cyberwraith" enlightened us thusly:

I saw one at 126.9 today, and there are none around here under 1.20 any more. Elsewhere it's a bit better, I did see one at 116.9 but I bet that'll be going up very soon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Or not, Darling "delayed" the 2p on the duty due on 1st April to October.

The percentage tax actually falls as the oil price goes up as the duty is a fixed amount per litre, currently 50.35p/l on ULS unleaded and diesel.

So:

120p/l 100p/l 80p/l

Duty 50.35p 50.35p 50.35p VAT 17.87p 14.89p 11.91p ----- ------ ------ Taxes 68.22p 65.24p 62.26p Oil 51.78p 34.76p 17.74p ====== ====== ====== 120.00p 100.00p 80.00p

%Tax 56.85% 65.24% 77.82%

I'm *NOT* defending 'em mind, they really do need to think about the cost of fuel or they are going to have great difficulty in stopping us following the US into a serious recession, ATM I think they are managing to keep us out but only just.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It can't carry on this way, action will have to be taken to sort this out. I'm sorry, but this is an impossible situation ffs. How are you supposed to run a business with this kind of shit going on?

Reply to
Nige

If there's one thing in this world that's out of the control of the British government it's the price of fuel.

Reply to
William Black

Not really. Ok, they have to charge some tax on it, but they don't have to charge a fortune in other taxes on it. They're not responsible for the actual cost of fuel, but they're mainly responsible for what we pay in tax on it.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, you know why you bought a 4x4!

Heh, I wish ;-) However if people still drive despite the high tax then it can't be high enough to really have an effect. The shit public transport helps of course!! It's been shit since time began so hardly the fault of the current shower. I often wonder what it is about the British public transport system that makes it so hard to improve, they've been "trying" for years, in quotes because motorist taxation really *is* a decent source of revenue, unlike income tax though it's one that many of us can reduce if we really wanted to (like me moving to work from home).

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Well we could always move to Venezuela where it's currently $0.20 per litre

Dave

Reply to
Dave H

On or around Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:57:18 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

I've just written to the council asking that the rate for my contract be increased to take account of the increase in fuel prices since the contract was priced last August, which is now just under 25% (the increase, that is).

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yeah, that'd really have an effect.. Plus of course who would they fire, while it's nice and easy to snort at the government they do a hell of a lot and the civil service is normally understaffed rather than overstaffed in my experience.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Good luck. No, I really mean it. Fuel must be a significant part of the costs for that contract and a 25% increase will make a serious dent into the "profit" required to buy food for you and your family.

Time to keep accurate records of the businness costs and how much you need to make to pay your private bills. Thus know when it's time to start looking for a more profitable engagement or have the figures to present to a council suit if/when they refuse any increase in the contract fee.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Was it written in to your tender?

Reply to
hugh

Perhaphs future contracts would be as well to factor in the fuel relative to pump prices so x for the service plus fuel. That was everyone knows the score and you would be less stressed Austin.

This is me speaking though, not a business dude.. just a dude. I guess there is some reason that the council may not like such a contract as it's not as transparent as x hundred quid.

trying to be elpful and not clever. Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

And is paid for out of council tax which will have to go up which will make a serious dent in the income of poorer people who have already suffered as a result of the dropping of the 10% tax band.

Reply to
hugh