ice road

Just spent the thick end of an hour watching this lot

?v=4VeHjoWHNLw
?v=nhz303bhKIg
Part 5 has some footage of recovery operations and a bit of mega-bridging-ladder use.

but it's all good stuff.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Blimey, don't know how you can stand the dramatic voiceovers, booming music, graphical padding and so on... Can't stand documentaries any more, too much of that. Interesting-ish subject though.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

been watching this series on the History Channel. Was absolutely fascinating. Couldn't do the hours they do in this country due to drivers hours!

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I know just how you feel, I'm not an idiot and don't like to be spoken to like I am. It's the "lowest common denominator" syndrome again, some watching are idiots so we treat everyone like that (although we that make the programme aren't, naturally). Instead of coming down to the lowest level why not make the idiots come up to a reasonable level? It's a constant beef with gardeners that the gardening programs seldom mention the Latin names 'cause it puts the great unwashed off, yet without the Latin names nobody is sure which plant is being talked about as the common names vary even within this small country. As an example of confusion take "Geranium" for example, is it a hardy herbaceous plant or something rather vibrant that won't last the frost and is used for summer bedding?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Hi Austin !

Super documentary. I bet they have siped their tires ;-))

Thanks for links :-))

Kind Regards

Reply to
René Løweneck

For me, it's the out-of-focus re-enactors running about armed with pike/musket/rifle depending (very loosely) on the century in question. I see a blurry re-enactor, I switch off :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Thought it were a semiconductor!

Reply to
GbH

Austin - I know you know a bit about bikes and so hoped you could help

My girlfriend's son has a 20 year old racing bicycle. (English)

The freewheel is on its way out.

The local bike shop say they cant get the part(s).

Is there a company you could recomend that should be able to supply the bits?

I am in South Bucks if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Giles Ayling

Reply to
Giles Ayling

On or around Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:40:12 +0100, "Giles Ayling" enlightened us thusly:

need more information. Is it a screwed-on freewheel, or a cassette type hub?

I wouldn't be surprised if parts are not available, especially if Shimano are involved.

Most bikes now have the freewheel built into the hub and a splined sprocket carrier. Older ones have a threaded hub and the freewheel plus sprockets is screwed on.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin

I will find out more tonight or tomorrow

Thanks

Giles

Reply to
Giles Ayling

Austin,

Do you have any experience with making recumbent frames? I want to price up some options, and wondered if you had a ball park figure for a long wheelbase under seat steering job.

Ta, Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

On or around Sun, 04 May 2008 19:21:53 +0200, Stuart Gray enlightened us thusly:

nope, not as such. I do have some recumbent trike plans on the back burner, but it'll likely be a SWB with normalish steering, something like a kingcycle but with 2 front wheels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

OK, ta.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Hi Austin

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.

The freewheel is French - Mailard.

A bike shop 10 miles away, remove, replace & refit for £11.99. So I think I will do that.

Thanks again

Giles

Reply to
Giles Ayling