Identifying Leaking Fluid

Hi,

Series III SWB. There is a persistent slightly damp patch on my drivers side floor mat, directly under the clutch / brake peddles. Having put some paper down I can tell that it is caused by a drip. Now the vehicle is parked in a garage so I am discounting rainwater etc. Could this be break fluid coming through from a small leak somewhere in the system? What other liquids are hanging about in the vicinity - coolant from the heater?

All ideas as to cause (and remedy) welcome.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Peter uttered summat worrerz funny about:

I assume you have eliminated water.. next is brake and clutch fluid. The IIa have one reservoir for both but I think the Series III has one for each.. check which is low if either.. chances are that it'll be around the hole in the bulkhead/footwell so run your finger carefully around each. Inspection with a torch in the dark inside the engine bay may also show the damp patch.

No unknown for water to piddle in here though.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

It's usually clutch master cylinder leaking, check to see if it's actually running down the clutch pedal. Repair kits are cheap but the cylinders are usually scored down the bore so it's best to just renew the full master cylinder, you'll most likely get a complete one for the same price as the kit from such as Beamends or Paddocks.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

run a wire brush over the lower side of the pedal and see how firmly the paint is attached. If it comes off easily then its brake/clutch juice! My 101 has a juicy brake pedal but i am ignoring it in the hopes that it will fix itself! :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Does the paper dry if brought into the warm? Brake (note the spelling, why do so many people use break as in broken?) or clutch fluid won't dry. Coolant should have antifreeze in and leave a blue and/or green stain possibly crystaline or or maybe a rusty one. Rain water will just be muddy.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:43:10 -0000, "Peter" enlightened us thusly:

heater's the other side. You need to identify the fluid. could well be brake or clutch fluid. Have a look if the fluid levels are going down...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 30 Jan 2007 01:14:41 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

clutch cylinders, non-genuine, are something silly like about 7 quid. I've never yet successfully rebuilt one and had it last.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Edjookayshun, edgeyoucajun, ejacageon ;-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Indeed, but you missed the peddles, and sooo... many say loose instead of lose, it makes reading hard work, you have to double-take. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

And you should grow enough balls to allow archiving of your posts.

Reply to
EMB

Now what was the 'O' in banjo for? :-)

Eh?... Don't need 'em anymore, they've got me in enough trouble in the past. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I know the feeling. Incidentally, can I interest anyone in a slightly used wife with a bit of an attitude problem? ;-)

Reply to
EMB

For sale or rent?

Reply to
tiscali

Free to a good home. And if you live more than 5000 miles from me I'll ship her freight free.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:30:46 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

what's she done this time?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Said "and just when are you going to .....

...finish that axle project?

...fit that engine?

...get those mucky bits of metal out of the living room/dining room/back of the car/dishwasher/from under the bed?

or similar!

Lizzy

Reply to
Lizzy Taylor

The older she gets, the more like her mother she becomes.

Reply to
EMB

finish the kitchen anyway

Yep

get that thing (race car engine) out of the office.

....the list is somewhat long ;-) And anyway she appears to have found another love interest. :-(

Reply to
EMB

On or around Thu, 01 Feb 2007 09:21:52 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

hmmm.

There is a theory that women turn into their mothers. I use it sometimes as an awful warning to youngsters.

mind you, I know one mother-daughter pair who comprehensively disprove the theory...

Reply to
Austin Shackles