Identifying rear diffs!

Having progressed to the 'it's straightforward and you need not replace the (10 spline) drive shafts' stage of replacing the knocking rear diff on my 88 RRC I checked the number of studs in the diff flange - result? 3!

According to Paddock's rear axle page, 3 stud diffs match 24 spline drive shafts on much younger vehicles than mine (chassis 3EA343346). Perhaps the axle case has been replaced? But why keep the old innards of the diff??

I've done a bit of number searching:

On the axle 28852529B The '8's are a little indistinct and might be 'S's ?

On one side of the diff, in three lines: 1st line A 24FJ (the

24FJ is in a box) 2nd line ROVER 3rd line H (or R) RC 1124 Also a 'D' halfway towards the UJ

On the opposite side of the diff: 1st line GF+L 2nd line 88 3rd line 420-12 (all but the 420-12 is very indistinct.

What the ??????

Front diff is also 3 nut/flange

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Stop messing around! Pull a half-shaft and see what is fitted. That's the only fool-proof way to find out exactly what is in the 'box'.

Reply to
Dougal

Sorry, if it is not apparent from my OP that 10 spline in brackets means that I have done exactly that, i.e. the driveshafts have 10 splines. Hence all my confusion and the request for assistance.

In fairness, there have been two earlier threads, but in order to avoid overloading the thread with many strands I was trying to post any questions that arose, but were not directly related, separately.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

Apologies if I missed that!

Your 3EA343xxx is just younger than my old one 3EA347xxx. This had 10 spline shafts, no ABS and a conventional UJ (4 bolt flange).

The 24 splines, I think, went with ABS but the three bolt flange and rubber coupling (which you do have, yes?) did not come along until some time later.

It sounds as though someone has created a hybrid using a rear prop and 'diff.' from a 1995-up model but with diff. side gears (matching your 10 spline half shafts) from something of your original vintage.

If that's the case it puts you in a bit of a spot unless the diff flanges are easily swappable avoiding the need to get involved with changing the rear prop. or halfshafts. Anyone know the answer to that?

Good luck - sounds as though you're going to need it!

Reply to
Dougal

No worries Mate!

No rubber couplings that I know of. Where would they be? The UJ is a 4 bolt job.

I think (italics) that the future is not too bleak. Looking at the parts book it seems that the fixings for the diff to axle are bolts rather than studs. If I'm right all I need do is obtain 2 replacement bolts of the correct length. Any thoughts?

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

Useful trick -- jack up that side (even if you don't need to remove a wheel) or park on a cross-slope, and the hub will be above the oil level.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I think the year is now MMV

Reply to