Ignition Wires Failing

We had the dealer replace all the ignition wires on an '03 Discovery 14K miles and 3 years ago. It looks like at least one of the ignition wires (cyl 5) needs replacement again.

The original set last 51K miles and the 2nd set only 14K miles. Seem = like really poor service life.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

lorendi

Reply to
NoSpam

Do you have any oil leaks from the rocker covers? If so, that will shorten the life of the leads considerably and cause them to break down electrically. If it was genuine leads that were fitted, they should last about 4 to 5 years irrespective of mileage done. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Replace them with Magnacor leads, mine are still ok after 10 years.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Thanks for the feedback. The replacement wires on the vehicle now = actually are Magnacor Electrosports 80.

I may have spoken too soon. Since the misfire fault occurred twice in = one day the vehicle has been running smoothly and Service Engine Soon is staying off.=20

Also, I failed to mention that a local mechanic thought the cyl 5 = ignition wire had been damaged by a coolant leak that was fixed several months = ago. It didn't look bad to me so I didn't believe that was the problem. He = did show me that the spark was weak on cyl 5 so I figured it was the old ignition wire problem that I had seen before.

I plan to visit the dealer soon and will provide an update.

Thanks again.

Loren

Reply to
NoSpam

There is also the issue that it may be a faulty coil pack - they are known to fail because of the environment they have to operate in. As you can imagine, right at the back of the block, they get bloody hot! If a coil pack fails, look for misfire codes for 2 cylinders that share a common double-ended coil, i.e. 1&6, 8&5, 4&7, 3&2. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yes, I did check the diagnostic codes myself but saw only P0305 Misfire = on cylinder 5. Will keep the coil pack in mind though.

Thanks,=20 Loren

Reply to
NoSpam

Snip ffs, but move a coil into another position to see if it moves about etc.

Reply to
Nige

Here's the update...

The igniti "Found fault P0305 misfire for cylinder 5 - found coolant soaked wire and cracked spark plug - replace plug and clean wire to correct"

and

"Coolant hose from reservoir to t-body leaking - replace line to correct =

- top off coolant".

Yes, I was wrong to doubt that a coolant leak could affect an ignition = wire but I am glad I didn't have the local mechanic replace the wires - I got off a lot cheaper at the dealer! =20

By the way, this dealer in Austin, TX also sells and services Jaguar. He provides free loaner vehicles during service but would not loan a Jag to = a Land Rover owner. ;-(

Loren

Reply to
NoSpam