IIA - Lucas or Ducellier distributor?

Subject line says it all. My '69 IIA's distributor (Ducellier) is getting generally well worn and sloppy. Replacement time is very near! Is there much to choose between the two makes of dizzy? Most of the usual suppliers seem to offer Lucas. Assume that advance curves etc. are fairly standard for all of the 2 1/4 petrol engines, or acceptably close enough. Thanks Alan

Reply to
mbqd64

The adavnce curve is better on the Lucas unit - noticably in my book. I dumped a new Ducellier in favour of a second-hand Lucas on my SII !

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

On or around Sat, 01 Nov 2003 10:21:53 +0000, richard.watson enlightened us thusly:

FWIW, you can fit the lucas 45D4 electronic variant fitted in a variety of things with O series leyland engines - morris ital, early rover 820, petrol

2-litre sherpa (not O2 type). This is the engine where the distributor sticks out sideways half-way along the top of the head, driven off the camshaft.

to do this, you need to remove the drive gear from the 45D4, remove the drive dog from your LR one, and swap 'em over. You'll need to drill a second, smaller hole in the drive dog to suit the smaller pin on the later distributor. do this at 90 degrees to the existing hole in the dog, replace dizzy and adjust lead positions accordingly, and remember to get the coil off the donor vehicle, plus the 2 wires from coil LT to distributor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On 2003-11-01 snipped-for-privacy@ddol-las.fsnet.co.uk said: >On or around Sat, 01 Nov 2003 10:21:53 +0000, richard.watson >>In message snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEdial.pipex.com wrote: >>> My '69 IIA's distributor (Ducellier) is getting generally >>> well worn and sloppy. Replacement time is very near! >>The adavnce curve is better on the Lucas unit - noticably in my >>book. I dumped a new Ducellier in favour of a second-hand Lucas on >FWIW, you can fit the lucas 45D4 electronic variant fitted in a >variety of things with O series leyland engines - morris ital, Thanks Austin, I've a brand new Lucas distributor, acquired free from clear-out when local former BL main dealer closed down. It's electronic. I fancy utilising it if poss, especially being unused and FREE! Says 419225D---->2783 on the side. Has 1 red plus 1 mauve wire coming out of side, terminating in strange looking blue plug with one pin and one socket. I don't have anything else which may be required. Google search has been fruitless. Anybody know what engine this is for and what other bits I'd need? Advance curve could of course be totally unsuited to a 2 1/4 LR in which case I'd probably have to give it a miss but the possibilities are worth looking into. Thanks Alan

Reply to
mbqd64

On 2003-11-01 snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEdial.pipex.com said: >I've a brand new Lucas distributor, acquired free from clear-out >Says 419225D---->2783 on the side.... Apologies! In the half light of my garage didn't notice it also said 59DM4 under the vacuum advance thingy. Google indicates it's for an 80's Mini, so seemingly not really suitable for LR? Thanks Alan

Reply to
mbqd64

On or around 02 Nov 2003 15:23:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEdial.pipex.com enlightened us thusly:

might well be fittable, even so.

59DM4 will be a later version of the 45D4 I mentioned. sounds as though it's the kind with a separate ignition amp, though - that funny plug sounds like the ones on the RR/disco with separate amps. A RR/disco amp and coil should work, as to advance curve, well, my advice is suck it and see. The electronic one I put on my 4-cyl didn't run any less well than the points type one, and seemed to make a stronger spark, which aided starting.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Many thanks for all suggestions. I feel a scrappy visit coming on... Alan

Reply to
mbqd64