immobilser probs?

gents first of all thanks for the tips on the wiper park switch, but I now seem to have developed a different problem, every so often I go to restart the landy after a short stop and almost nothing happens sometimes there will be a click from the solenoid some times not. on top of that im not sure if this is related but the engine cuts out completely while going along the road. I will pull over 2 mins later it will start up, very frustrating. I was wondering if the immobilisers are prone to problems if not any ideas?

1996 90 300tdi thanks Mogg
Reply to
mogg

I would change the deisel stop solenoid on your injector pump...

Brian Tonks

Reply to
Brian Tonks

I had this persistant problem with my limo, never got to the bottom of it, it was most likely possibly the immobiliser, which was not original but connected however it was with the usual scotchlite connectors which are notorios for causing intermittnant failures.

Reply to
Larry

I think Brian is on the right track here. My 300Tdi Discovery suffered the same symptoms but the solenoid wasn't faulty - the spade connector had become coated in gunge over the years and the electrical connection would be intermittent.

Before changing the solenoid try cleaning the connection first.

HTH

Reply to
SteveG

Yes, mine often does this too, its only getting 9v to the starter solenoid, not quite enough to pull in the motor, last time RAC had the dash stripped down and where looking at ignition switch but it started working again before they found the cause. I put a line from the battery straight to the solenoid with a switch in the cab to defeat the problem. Am also only getting 8v to the glow plugs which may or may not be associated.

frustrating. I

I think this is a seperate problem, fuel solenoid or bad contact in the alarm spyder.

Chris

1996 110 300tdi

Reply to
ChrisG

I had exactly the same problem on my 110 300 and it was certainly the immobiliser. I "solved" the problem by fitting a separate wire, suitably fused, via a switch under the dashboard to the solenoid on the pump. When the beast died as you describe, a quick flick on the switch and I was away. I could have fitted a permanent wire from the "ignition" switch but that would have totally defeated the object of the immobiliser.

In an emergency, I even ran a wire from the cigarette lighter to the solenoid and it at least got me home. Then I fitted the switch.

David

Reply to
David

Thanks chaps something to start on

Reply to
mogg

Hey Mogg, did you get the problem sorted? If so, what was it?

Reply to
SteveG

Having just that problem now. 110 300 Tdi 1997/8

It is the PC board in the alarm spider that is breaking up. There is an upgrade that replaces it from LR £ 130 fitted I paid. This gives you a hidden transponder behind the dash that you wave one of two green fobs at and it disarms the alarm/ imm, you also get a gold programme fob that you keep for reprogrammg

Trouble is even my upgrade started playing up lat week in rural france and LR assistance advice was if I was to want repatriation i would need to be faxed or e-mailed documents to get it home ( remember RURAL france ). However it resolved itself and I got home yesterday, only to have the same problem today. 110 going back to dealer for fix tomorrow as still under warranty.. @@$5**

Hope it helps.

JohnH

Reply to
Hirsty's

hi all the intermittent problem became more regular last week and I ended up calling out the AA at fleet services coming home from Cornwall, the AA chap checked the battery voltages, then the output from the alternator, then smacked the starter..no joy, he then said lets go back to basics and put his booster across the battery and hey presto the blooming thing started! now I would have sworn the battery was ok,...his reckoning was that the battery was on its way out and that a build-up of sulpahtes/phides was causing the plates to short cct, and that if the problem reoccurred before I got a new battery could try giving the battery a shake. I have since fitted a new battery (663) and have had no probs since ... so now its a case of wait and see. I don't know if this would make the engine cut out whilst driving ( diesel solenoid? )

awaiting your informed advice/opinions

thanks for all your help mogg

Reply to
mogg