Increasing the fuel output on TD300 pump - is it worth doing?

Hi there I have a Disco with td300 engine, I told you can turn up the fuel pump and get more bhp, is this true and is it worth doing given mpg, performance etc?

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I fail to msee how using more fuel will increase economy, but you will get more smoke.

Reply to
Nige

Optimising the fuelling *and* the turbo boost will make a large difference to performance and somewhat so to mpg, depending on how you drive, as you will be able to get into a higher gear sooner, and stay in it longer.

Disable the EGR first, uprate the intercooler, check and tweak the boost and THEN alter the pump.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Don't touch the boost. The 300 already runs at 1 bar compared to 0.75 on the

200. Turning it up further prolly won't do the engine much good and you'd need a decent boost gauge to measure what you're doing.

Do the rest as suggested and remove the cat. I find a £2 coin works nicely to disable the EGR, Austin manages to get away with a 2p. At least I can always buy a burger in an emergency.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Granted the 300's boost is already 1 bar, but the turbo is safe to 18psi as long as the intercooler is uprated. The stock one is already marginal at standard boost. More boost will do nothing without the right fuelling to go with it mind.

An accurate boost gauge, a pyrometer and the knowledge of what you are doing are all necessary though.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Fair comment, if you do all that you'll improve performance no end, can't guarantee the fuel economy though! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Set up right, with a spot more advance and the vehicle driven normally- it will be no worse on fuel. The ability to lug longer in a higher gear always gives improved economy, especially as you can make the turbo spool sooner and harder so you can get into that higher gear without labouring.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..