Indian Summers

Wonder how the shares in Squeegie leather sponges are fairing. Normally the shelves would be being emptied around now as we furnish that Landrover dashboard with a new one in readiness.

Nice and toasty here today, wonder how long this will last and if we'll get a butt kicking winter.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just starting to warm up, looks like a long hot summer coming up as the drought (now in its seventh year) tightens the screws. There's been less than an inch of rain since early June. Near total crop failure expected unless it rains in the next two weeks (and there is none forecast) - and the price of wheat has alreadydoubled since March. (Not everyone on the internet lives in the northern hemisphere!) JD

Reply to
JD

I hope so, I want to try the pinz out in the snow! It can handle three foot drifts without problems according to the yanks, not so sure about that myself, but haven't seen even a 1-foot drift since I left Scotland so doubt I'll find out soon.

I suppose I ought to get around to fitting that truck cab to the landy, the canvas is going to get chilly..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I guess you won't be wanting a squeegie leather sponge either then. I rest my case.

Don't worry dude. If it's owt like our predicted summer you'll be wishing you'd cobbled together an Ark in a month or two.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Its not so toasty anymore - its still sunny but not that hot (just pleasant imo!). The weather was like this last year too. It changed after the october half term. I remember bacause my car MOT is the week before the half term week and i always have to put in some late nights outside fixing it after it fails...

Reply to
Tom Woods

Well weve sent off our horse rugs to be steam cleaned. 2 of these "NZ" rugs are so thick an padded it'll keep em warm in the wettest/coldest of days/nights. we hope. But its been along time since we had to bring the horses in cos of the cold... Cept thunder storms etc. I prey for a mild snowless winter.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Well I've just been outside chopping wood and it felt bloody hot to me! Had to move everything around the garden, chasing the shade.

Arrgh! Don't remind me of MOTs, I got made redundant on Tuesday, followed closely by a water bill, car insurance on the landy and the audi, MOT time and tax disc for the pinz and landy, new tyres needed for the audi, audi service light comes on, house contents insurance needs renewing and all this just after the house building insurance was renewed.. Feck! September is going down as a bad month.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Bad luck, mate. It's happened to me and it's no fun. Hope you get something sorted soon.

Reply to
Rich B

Cheers, it's my second time in 6 years, been expecting this one for a year, so have my own business up and running, will either sink or swim now. Might end up living in the pinz ;-)

I'd quite like that actually, a six-wheeled hobo, the pinz with no name, roving the land, killing for money (OK perhaps not the bit about killing).

Let's just hope this heat keeps up, the central heating in this house costs a bomb to run..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

it feels bloody hot chopping wood when its sub zero - thats cos its a proper job! ;) weather forecast says 15-18C outside here. it has to be 21to be hot IMO ;) It didnt get much colder than 5-10 here last winter (apart from about

2 days!)..

bugger. enjoy the self employedness! there goes your ever being able to forget about work and properly relax though! ;)

Reply to
Tom Woods

With a chainsaw? The axe bit comes in an hour or so, now that it's even hotter..

In case anyone's wondering why I'm chopping wood in this weather, I need to dry it out, I'm not totally mad..

I was bought up on the west coast of Scotland, not sure if we had sun up there!

Last time I remember snow was about 3 years ago, and I remember it because I was in the Audi, not the Landy, and was trying to get home from Basingstoke to Dorset on a Friday, peak A303 traffic time. Took me 5 hours.. Usually took 1.5 hours. Couldn't risk the snow-covered routes because the audi wheels were spinning on some hills, didn't want to risk sliding down a hill out of control so after getting some soil out of a nearby field so I could get up the hill I rejoined the A303 which was salted but moving at walking pace.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Its cheating using a chainsaw!

and i actually managed to get a tan yesterday so it must have been quite warm - i take it all back... though it could have been the complete exhaust system i welded up! ;)

It hasnt started peeling yet as welding tans always have on me in the past so it might have been a proper tan..

Reply to
Tom Woods

I still managed to get a blister from the axe, mind you I did fill a bunker with wood, that's about a week and a half's supply during the cold weather. I've still got about 5 tonnes of wood to chop yet.. About half of it a foot-and-a-half in diameter. Won't quite fit on my tiny fire like that ;-)

I wonder what the legality is of nabbing fallen wood from woodland spotted during green-laning trips.. NO is almost certainly the official answer, but if a tree falls in the woods without a sound and no landowner is there when I scarper with it, is it really stolen... I went to ask my cat but when I looked in its box, it was dead.

Do you have a darth-vader shaped white patch covering your head and neck?

Lovely hot day today, no wood to chop, but do have F1 race to watch and loads of computer work to do before Monday so looks like I'm inside all day :-(

Reply to
Ian Rawlings