Indicator stalk anyone?

My lights have failed on my L reg 200tdi. Ive checked the fuses, all OK. Ive still got sidelights and the flash still works when you pull the stalk but Ive got no dip or main beam. I assume that the switch has gone in the stalk.

Firstly, do I assume right? Are there any more checks I can do to confirm my diagnosis?

Secondly, Does anyone have one they want to sell? I would buy one from ebay or somewhere similar but I just dont fancy playing roulette and getting a bad one.

Thanks Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

Probably one on the Corpse. Where are you ? If you're near Manchester you can come and take it off yourself.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Im in Cheltenham but Ive got to go to Liverpool next weekend for a couple of days, so a trip out may be nice. Check your emails for my mobo number.

Ben

Reply to
Ben & Claire

On or around Tue, 23 May 2006 21:04:23 GMT, "Ben & Claire" enlightened us thusly:

check that it's not a relay somewhere. and check that you've got the correct wattage bulbs, putting 100/80s in which some people do is a good way of overloading the switchgear.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

i am not sure if you have a landrover or discovery, but they might be same switches . both my landrovers lost headlights, it was the main headlight/sidelight on/off switch .

think they are 14 quid from paddocks , thats cheap .

the contacts in the switch get hot and then melt the plastic supporting them, then they wont line up . you can get sidelights but maybe not headlights , or the headlights may come on if you wiggle the switch .

i have rewired my landy 90 and wired relays from the alternator output to the headlights, the main switch only switches the relays for the dip or main beam , it doesnt carry the full current for lights anymore and also my lights are twice as bright as they used to be .

original landrover wiring produces a voltage drop in the headlight wiring .

check youre bulbs first though , may have blown the filaments .

main light switch is easy enough to change , you really do need to put a new one in if the old ones melted , they have a multiway plug connecting to main harness .

there are separate fuses for headlights and side lights etc , but i guess youve tested all of them .

not sure if you have blade type fuses or barrel type older style .

youre main/dip stalk may be ok , its more than likely the main on/off light switch thats gone .

if you wiggle it on you may find the lights intermittently come on , sure sign its failed and melted .

the switch isnt capable of handling the current for the lights, they are all the same , i have a 1986 and 1995 landy , both suffered same fate with light switch .

if you say the main beam flasher is working then i think that points towards a failed on/off light switch and not the stalk .

Ben & Claire (nospam) wrote:

Reply to
m0bcg

I've got one knocking around somewhere if you get stuck

Dave

Reply to
Dave R