Info needed: military aerial mounts

I'm doing some quick-and-simple digital model-making, and I'd appreciate some data from anyone with access to a Land Rover with an FFR setup, preferably Series II, but the fittings on a Lightweight would be OK.

As I recall, there are boxes on the wings containing an aerial tuning unit, with the aerial base on top.

What I'm looking for are good photographs, and the basic measurements. That is, diameter and height of the aerial base, and length, width, and depth of the box. Photographs on an existing website might be enough, but I'd like a clear shot of any connecting leads that might be visible.

The end result I'm aiming for is at the level of a good cartoon. It doesn't need to be 100% accurate, but I want to avoid any glaring errors. These are very visible components.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Try putting Landrover FFR into google images.

The exact fit will depend on what the vehicle was used for and whether it was fitted for vhf, hf or both; as well as what kind of whips were in use. Some vhf whips are broadband and don't requite tuning units.

Also there are sometimes side stalks for whips just in front of the rear wheel arches

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Well, it's a start, and I did find a PDF of a Series II FFR operator's manual, but I'm still drawing a blank on the externally visible fittings. Just one Lightweight with the aerial base direct on the wing, without the ATU box, and another (Dutch?) with an aerial bracket on the side between door and wheelarch.

And there is a website with a fair bit of info on military radio gear: mostly selling a series of books called "Wireless for Warriors", covering the British Army through WW2. Some info on Larkspur, which was the radio system likely to be fitted to a Series II FFR, before being supplanted by Clansman. If you're into the topic, it's worth checking out.

But is seems that visible stuff like ATU boxes is documented with the radio gear.

And all I wanted was something plausible for the background of a render...

Reply to
David G. Bell

Use the ****IMAGES**** option in Google with Landrover ffr, you will find a lot of pictures

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I did.

Five pages.

Some expired eBay auctions, and a lot of various people's prides and joys, but very little showing vehicles with radio equipment fitted.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Odd, I followed some of the links and found quite a few pictures.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm having better luck with finding pictures from the radio side, although they have the tendency to put up pictures of the front panels with all the knobs and dials and blinky-lights. And still a shortage of measurements, though I could probably put together a No. 19 Set (which, it seems, can pass current EU standards for spurious emissions).

Somebody called Mike Bone has a military Land Rover with a full radio rig, but the only photo I found was of the interior.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Any use?

Derek where has all the snow gone then?

Reply to
Derek

Thanks, the first on the list has some very good shots, which will give me a pretty good idea of the size: components of known size to scale from. And there's also good positioning info.

If anyone is able to give actual measurements, of course, but this is getting good enough to start work from.

Reply to
David G. Bell