Infuriating ABS system

Can anyone explain how an ABS system works on the Disco 1? What prevents the ABS system kicking in when the vehicle is stopped or going so slow as to be nearly stopped?

The reason I ask is because the system in mine is intermittently kicking in traffic and when I am going slow (less than 10mph). It always kicked in if I was on a rough surface but I thought this was normal as the wheels maybe reacting differently to normal. It also kicks in on slippery surfaces at walking pace which I again though was normal as the wheels would of course lock there. However the ABS in my Toyota car does not act the same on these surfaces and rarely kicks until the breaks are applied fully and usually at a reasonable speed. (in excess of 10mph)

The ABS rarely kicks in when the car is travelling at normal speed and the ABS indicator light normally goes out when the car goes in excess of 7mph or thereabouts. If it stays on it will go out the next time I start the car. Once after an episode of it working when it shouldn't the light did come on but again went out when the car was restarted.

However what really annoys me on the Disco is that the system is kicking in when I only depress the pedal a slight bit and consequently I have to push through the back-pressure that is applied by the ABS pump working. This does not allow me to break in an efficient and safe manner.

The last time this happened I hot tailed it off to my local Land Rover garage and had them look at it. They could not find any problem (so they said) but told me they had taken the sensors out and cleaned them and reset the "air gap" on them. I have it booked in again but am worried that they will not find the problem this time either.

All suggestions and explanations welcome as I would like to know how the system is supposed to work before I bring it in to them this time.

Regards

Hugh

Reply to
Hugh Hogan

[...]

Assuming that the sensors really are ok, and there's no wiring faults, it could be that the bearing in the back end of the stub axle(s) has play in it, allowing the CV joint to "bounce" upsetting the sensor. The only way to find out is to have a look - not too bad a job, a couple of gaskets and a bit of time easch side, but from your description it's not really the usual circumstances for that fault.

Richard

Reply to
BeamEnds