injector cleaners

chaps your knowledge please

I give my petrol vectra a dose of injector cleaner every 10k miles or so, can I do the same for my 300tdi defender? I looked on the label of a bottle of the stuff the other day, but couldn't see anything on there to say I could or couldn't use it with a diesel any ideas chaps

Reply to
mogg

I've had 5 different diesel engined cars in the last few years, I 've ran all off them from new until between 100k & 160k.

Not one of them gave me any injector problems. Can't see the 300tdi being any different. Save your money is what I say.

Or better still get a V8

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Wilkinsons do a Redex Diesel Injector Cleaner for 3.95 that treats 4 tankfuls of fuel. The improvement in mileage makes the stuff pay for itself. My 92 Tdi went from about 30 ish to about 35 ish mpg which is at least 50 miles extra per tank, or a saving of at least 5 pounds a tankful after the cost of the Redex is taken out.

Mind you, other places sell the same for 6.99.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

so Gerry was, like...

And I think there is different stuff for petrol and diesel - not sure if it's just hype, but I'd get the correct stuff meself.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

well you could but since the petrol injector cleaner is mainly Kerosine I'd say it was a very expensive way of buying cheap diesel with a little colouring and a few unspecified hydrocarbon additives alternatively putting a drop of diesel in a petrol engine now and again is a very cheap way of buy injector cleaner I do it either that or spring for a fill of optimax- seems to work the same. Derek

Reply to
Derek

There are two types, petrol & diesel. Whether there is any difference between the two I can't say. I was very scornful of such products until I knocked the cap off a bottle and stuck it in the 110 to get rid of it. It did make a difference to the "feel" of the engine, and reduced the diesel "haze" you can only see at night quite substantially on a 245,000 mile engine.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

That's a bit like saying beer is mainly water. Perfectly true but it's the other bits that make the product what it is. Injector cleaner also contains cetane, a chemical that improves detonation. This is why, I suspect, that the mpg increases.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

True enough Tony but kerosine is really quite good for removing gum grease and other clag from carburettors (I've been using it for the last 30 odd years) which is generally the point of injector cleaners. Derek

Reply to
Derek