Injector probs in Khartoum

HELP!

I've had a very gradual loss of power over a month or so followed by almost total loss in the last four days - I lost a gear a day so to speak. Now I can just about manage 20kph in second.... Loads of black smoke, and depressing the accelerator makes the engine sound like a tractor....

I've just come through Ethiopia so the fuel quality hasn't been great

- I've changed the fuel and air filters though.

I'd appreciate opinions on the causes - I suspect the injector pump but this is going to cost a fortune to replace and the local LR dealer here is a reputed shark so I'd like to look at options other than replacement.

Please copy replies to snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com as internet access is not too easy here

Thanks in advance

Peter

1997 Camel Trophy Disco 300TDI
Peter Strong

On or around 11 Feb 2004 02:56:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Peter Strong) enlightened us thusly:

sounds like injector pump to me. If it's next-to-undriveable, and if you've got tools, you've nothing to lose by stripping it to see if you can find out what's wrong. The loads of black smoke tends to point to much fuel.

or, of course, not enough air. Nothing blocking the intake, I trust?

either that, or hunt a local type who can strip injector pumps. All mechanical pumps work on similar principles. You may found it's something silly like crud got in it and causing things to stick.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Peter Strong writes

Take all the intercooler hoses off and inspect the inside.

Infact try to run the engine with no hoses at all on it and see if it is better.

Reply to
marc