Insurance and approved devices on 91 Discos

Hi all, I wanted to ask all of you knowledgable people in here. I am still looking for my Early 90's Disco and have run up against another small problem. When I asked my insurance company for a quote for the vehicle they asked if an approved alarm/immobiliser was fitted to Disco's of this vintage as their database of approved devices only goes back to 95.

Can anybody tell me what was fitted as standard to 90,91 and 92 vintage Discos. (if anything) and if it is Thatcham approved or otherwise? The vehicle I want is the TDi S, 5 door. I would really appreciate any help, insurance without a device is almost £800, with it is £379... big difference. Thanks.

-- This world sucks.... which is good 'cos if it didn't we'd all fall off. ChunkyVulcan

Reply to
ChunkyVulcan

thanx mate....

-- This world sucks.... which is good 'cos if it didn't we'd all fall off. ChunkyVulcan

Reply to
ChunkyChic

I believe that the alarm and immobiliser fitted to ours was fitted by Land Rover, and the sticker in the window says CATS, Land Rover approved anti theft system, and when it went wrong, was told the name of the company that LR had used for our system was called Scorpion. I can't tell you which one it was though.

Our last insurance for the Discovery was through Norwich union and completed on line, got it for both of us to drive and the first policy cost us £225, and we also had a £20 cheque from them in the post a few weeks later. Bruce also has full no claims. When we recieved the quote for the last and currently running policy, Bruce was well pleased with it at £157. An age related advantage I believe as he was 50 last birthday. I don't recal having to state the make of alarm fitted, just which category it was and as it is an alarm and immobiliser it is category 2, category 1 is alarm only, like on the Range Rover.

You may find that the cars you are looking at have a different alarm system, possibly fitted afterwards, as ours went wrong severl years ago, locking me out in a thunder storm. Finally managed to get the key to work in the door, got in only to find how well the immobiliser worked. We had to take the documents into the local land rover dealer to prove ownership and then via mobile phone the "electrical technician" instructed Bruce how to bypass the alarm system and immobilser. It is the only thing I can honestly say we have had from Land Rover for free and they have managed to get right first time.

If it has been fitted afterwards for what ever reason, then its worth asking the present owner about the alarm, and if they have any documents regarding it. Our previous insurance company wanted to know what was fitted to the RR and it was only the fact that there was a sticker in the window which read Serpi Star to say what it was.

Reply to
Nikki

Hi,

I have a 93 Disco and had the same problem with Direct Line insurance. I later telephoned a help line at Land Rover to find out what the immobiliser/alarm fitted was. It turns out to be a Lucas type 110 or something, but is not an 'Approved' Type. My insurance Co. said on a fully comp ins it would only be covered for third party until I upgraded the immobiliser/alarm.

best wishes

Gail

Reply to
Gail