Insurance Query

Hi,

I am thinkin about putting an A-bar with some spots on the front of my Disco and light protector bars on the rear lights.

Should I tell my insurance company about this? I had a friend who fitted standard Peugeot fog lights to his 406 and didn't even think about telling his insurance - next thing he knows, they won't pay out on a knock-for-knock claim because he hadn't told them about the fogs!

Is it likely to put my insurance up? Can I just claim they were on there when I bought the car?

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

Depends how you feel about it. You could inform your insurance company and depending how they feel, they'll either say no probs and no increase, some increase or even cease cover. If the items are standard Land Rover and could of been fitted at time of purchase, then in my opinion I'd stick to that story should the insurance company at any stage query the fitment. I've got an A frame, spots, mud flaps and side steps, all genuine items. As far as I'm concerned, I bought the car second hand, they were already fitted, assumed it came from dealer as such (ahem). I guess even dealer fitted they are classed as a modification though, but where do we stop having to tell the insurance company we've added something? A set of car mats, an air freshener?

Alan C

Reply to
alan.cutler

Yep - you should tell them, and as above they will decide what to do. Most will just say "ok" with no increase in policy, but if you are with someone like Direct Line et al who don't want anything but absolutely bog standard spec, low risk clients then they might say they no longer wish to insure you.

If the items are standard

Anything that differs from standard should be mentioned, even if dealer supplied and fitted - obviously mats and air freshener are taking it a bit far! Alloy wheels that are non-standard should be mentioned, even a badge on the back - e.g. if you have a 1.4 Golf and stick a GTi badge on the back you should tell the insurance company because it makes the vehicle more attractive to thieves - not to mention the driving attitude of someone who thinks they are driving a GTi! it makes it more likely that they will have to pay out.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

A collision with an A bar will also be more likely to frig your chassis and affect the air bag deployment (assuming you have them).

I fitted a Bull bar on a 1983 RRC and a few insurance companies didn't want to know. I seemed at the time to settle with NFU.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

really? they don't seem solid enough to pass on the impact forces. Maybe I'm thinking of the more traditional bull-bar type thingie.

I can sorta understand that - there's a load of FUD surrounding their use.

Reply to
William Tasso