INTERCOOLER, increase eficency

Hi All,

Having pull the intercooler out and lovingly cleaned it inside and out (as recomended here) it has made the Disco a new car. Being a tight wad (read porper) I cannot aford to buy a new bigger one, so I wondered if I could garner any benafit from fitting an old fan to it to, to ram more air over the cooler?

94 300tdi Disco Auto.

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Better still fit a second water tank and a few spraying jets to "throw" water over it.

(not kidding it does work especially on very hot or very cold days)

Some people go a step further and spray CO2 over it.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Thats do-able but to be fair most people doing so have names ending in -nen as in Makinen, Toivenen, Kankkunen . I wonder how much inprovement you could achieve by simply putting a baffle behind the grille to direct extra air through the intercooler the 300Tdi 's don't run very hot ( don't read that Pantelis in your much warmer neck of the woods it could be a problem ) so baffling a bit off from the radiator shouldn't cause much of a problem and give a decent improvement in airflow add to that my favourite heat bandage/wrap around the manifold and down pipe and you could be getting a worthwhile improvement without spending a lot. Derek Kato 200TDi Disco Scooby Outback Wagon

Reply to
Derek

You'd get a far greater improvement by having the inlet manifold and head ported/polished and the exhaust headers "smoothed" out.

Reply to
no_one

Thanks for the replies, I am not so keen on injecting gas over the cooler..nice idea. Port and polish is an easy one to do, done lots on cars..but the engine is as sweet as a nut and I am loath to disterb it. The bafel is most apealing along with the wrap. Derek, what is this wrap I have seen you mention before, I take it that you put it around the Exhaust manafold, ignore the turbo and then around the down pipe...there is obviosly no cooling of the manafold and down pipe...do you not have any probs with the pipes?

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Useful for cooling brakes as well. I wondered what all the busses and trucks where stopping for in westerm China a few years back, it was to pickup water in quite large tanks on the roof (approx 8' square and 1' deep). Pipes ran this water down onto the drums and every vehicle left a couple of trails down the road. This was at the top of a long descent, probably several thousand feet in 20 or 30 miles of bendy mountain road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Hi,

I think they also use this system (water sprayed onto the disc brakes to cool them) on the truck racing events.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

John and Derek Hi,

thermal wrapping DOES work. I have done so using the ThermoTec material on the downpipe (right after the turbocharger and until it meets with the lower front part of the exhaust pipe) and it has made a difference.

Wrapping the cast manifold though is a bit tricky.

In any case though as Derek has suggested it is a very good thing to do and it does not cost an arm and a leg.

On the other hand instead of doing so you can always fit a snorkel and feed the engine with fresh, cold and clean air from the outside. It DOES make a difference especially on the 200/300 Tdi Discos. Downside is that a snorkel does cost more than a roll of ThermoTec.....

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Derek Hi,

considering that a pair of front mounted electric fans (the ones used for cooling the A/C radiator) and a big electric rear mounted electric fan covering about 70% of the water radiator were not capable of properly cooling a 200Tdi during the hot summer Greek days I guess baffling the radiator will not be a good idea, as you already proposed.

Wrapping the downpipe and exhaust manifold (a bit tricky this one but not that difficult) will definately be a good idea in relation to lowering the engine bay temperature.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

And the other thing to consider is, sat right on top of the exhaust manifold is the intake plenum chamber bathed in the heat from the exhaust manifold- further adding to the problem so if you can keep that cool as well so much the better. re the wrap I got mine off fleabay but price it up at Agriemach

or your local Rally supplies its pretty simple to put on if fiddly on the manifold and 25ft x 2" is slightly more than you need on a 200 TDi I've had no problems with the pipes and the sound level is noticably lower.When you think about it it should mean the heat gets further down the exhaust so there should be less residual moisture after shutoff therefore reducing the rust . I think if I was doing it again I'd get some of the protective paint as well to make it look that bit tidier.http://tinyurl.com/ebayexhaustwraps (cool new thing at tinyurl.com you can write your own link ) Derek Kato 200TDi Disco Scooby Outback Wagon

Reply to
Derek

OK, I'm convinced ! Flee bay here I come.

Thanks all for the advice as always helpful. Dereck, but you don,t look at the manifold when driving does it realy matter what it looks like.......Hmmm thinks... I've seen that around pipes before .... OK when I open my bonnet ....yup nice colour paint on it needed. As you were.

Regards

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

Try searching for the Injector pump tweak guide, IIRC it's a dodge pump or similar and there is a guide out there for adjusting the smoke adjust screw etc. If you have an airflow meter between the turbo and air box, then you'll need a chip instead though :)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

this bit Alex ?

Derek