Interesting!

Just been doing some maths.

Assuming that V8's return an average of 14 mpg and diesels 28 mpg

When Diesel costs £1.08 more a litre than pertol then we may all as well run V8's :-)

in todays terms that meand petrol at say £1.08 a litre and Diesel at ....wait for it..... £9.82 per litre. :-(

I feel better now having just put £98 of Derv in the Rangie!

All calcs on a cost per mile purely on fuel alone.

Reply to
Lee_D

=A39.82 per gallon surely?

Reply to
Colin Reed

I donno there is certainly something ary with the maths...

Lee had a V8 doing half the MPG than a diesel. So if diesel becomes twic= e the price of petrol, V8's become are cheaper to run even though they bur= n twice the quantity of fuel.

At todays prices with petrol at 112p/l that would mean diesel at or over= over 224p/l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

£9.82 per gallon surely?

Yep! just testing! ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Wed, 21 May 2008 17:27:01 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

It's fecking well headed that way anyhow, but I reckon the petrol will more or less keep pace.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I donno there is certainly something ary with the maths...

Lee had a V8 doing half the MPG than a diesel. So if diesel becomes twice the price of petrol, V8's become are cheaper to run even though they burn twice the quantity of fuel.

At todays prices with petrol at 112p/l that would mean diesel at or over over 224p/l.

Reply to
Lee_D

Well my V8 does 22mpg in my hybrid, so is that far better then a deisel? :-)

Gary xx

Reply to
Gary

Convert the V8 to LPG and you're already there. - 57.9pplor less.

Reply to
hugh

But you don't get the same MPG on LPG as you do on petrol do you? ISTR comments in here that it's noticeably lower.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Slightly lower - about 10% on a decent system

Reply to
hugh

Yes, but its not HALF the economy!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Is that the best you can ever expect, or can you tune things any better ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

IME yes thats the best you will get. That was on our 3.9 v8 Multipoint injection system.

:-(

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Won't be long...don't know how it is going over there, but over here, 2 weeks ago at the cheap supermarket garage it was 1,28? / l, last week

1,35, this week 1,39. Most places are well into 1,40's now, if not 1,50.
Reply to
Matt M

On or around Sat, 24 May 2008 23:53:01 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

there's no need to be miserable about it. That's pretty good. As a rule of thumb, if you get less than 80% of the petrol economy, there's summat wrong with it, regardless of system. good modern system can get up to 90% as you noted. The reason is simple: Propane (and most autogas in this country is mostly propane) has less specific energy per litre then petrol. Diesel has more, hence why a modern diesel will out-economy a petrol engine, like-for-like.

Nevertheless, with LPG typically about half the price of petrol, you can get something close to diesel fuel costs on LPG.

Less so now, but traditionally, the V8s outperformed the diesels in the LR range by a good margin. And they sound better :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Blimely where is that Matt? Last week (14th) I paid 1.22, yesterday (24th) the same place was 127. I did see my first advertised 131 though. (Tesco J43 M6). All I bought was 25l of unleaded to pour into her indoors motor, cheaper than buying at the local place and as I was there and will last a while as she doesn't do a great mileage.

The diesel/unlead gap had also got wider again to 13p/l.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes but you're talking euros, that's still not over a pound a litre.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I bought some Euros last Wednesday via a French ATM & the rate was ?1.06 to the pound, allowing for the bank charges.

Shell diesel pump price in Le Touquet on Thursday was ?1.46 per litre.

About £1.37 per litre.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Being one of those sad people who likes to keep very detailed records, I can say that over a period of time (4 years currently analysed) and taking into account various driving conditions, there is absolutely NO discernable difference in economy between petrol and LPG. If anything, LPG fairs a bit better when gently cruising on the motorway as it doesn't need lots of 'power'.

Around town LPG fairs a tad worse - but on balance, no discernable difference.

Reply to
.mother

Good. That's something to aim for. Simon I. can get 18 mpg on his 101 AMBI, why can I only get 10....

Tinley tech ECU, power valve, lambda probe and TPS all fitted, time to wire them up..

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor